Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently trying to decide between

Any of the Gold and above Seasonics (or the Antec that uses rebranded Seasonic)
EVGA G3
Corsair HX750i

Is it just a case of getting whichever happens to be cheapest or is one vastly better than the others ? Have I missed anything decent off that list ?

It's also a shame shilka no longer keeps his great PSU list going :(

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,881 Posts
Seasonic Focus Plus 750W here. Shilka recommended it to me a while back and am more than happy with it.

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W is the best option for most people at 750W.

Keep in mind with the EVGA G3 that some reports of fan profile being too aggressive are floating around. Also the EVGA warranty needs registration so if you buy it remember to register.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,869 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://www.overclock.net/forum/31-p...evga-supernova-g3-eco-mode-noise-problem.html
Do you even need 750 watts? unless you are doing crossfire or SLI or you are on X299 or X399 you probably dont need that much wattage
I don't technically need a new PSU at all but I'm going to be making some custom cables so figured I'd get a new PSU to do the cables on (what's the point in pretty cables for a 8 year old PSU ?) as for 750W, means more HDD slots and room for SLI if I end up going that route

·
Senior OCN Member
39,869 Posts
If you need a ton of SATA power connectors the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt has 10 where everything else only has 6-8
Been thinking about replacing my old EVGA G2 and the only PSU under 850 watts that has more then 8 SATA power connectors is the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt

·
Not new to Overclock.net
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you need a ton of SATA power connectors the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt has 10 where everything else only has 6-8
Been thinking about replacing my old EVGA G2 and the only PSU under 850 watts that has more then 8 SATA power connectors is the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
There's the snow silent too which has 10 Sata but if I can find a good price might just get an 850w yeah it's overkill but it's not like it's going to be drawing more electricity than a 750 providing the setup stays the same

·
Senior OCN Member
39,869 Posts
There's the snow silent too which has 10 Sata but if I can find a good price might just get an 850w yeah it's overkill but it's not like it's going to be drawing more electricity than a 750 providing the setup stays the same
The efficiency is going to be slightly worse at lower loads

·
Not new to Overclock.net
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The efficiency is going to be slightly worse at lower loads
But the difference in price from 750 gold to the 750 prime Titanium won't be less than the cost of paying slightly more electricity due to lower load efficiency no ? It's +£20 to go from 750w to 850w while it's around £70 to go from Gold 750w to the Prime Titanium

To make the Prime T viable the efficiency difference would have to be greater than 33% over the course of 10 years, I know there'll be a slight difference but surely not 33% ?

·
professional curmudgeon
10,402 Posts
But the difference in price from 750 gold to the 750 prime Titanium won't be less than the cost of paying slightly more electricity due to lower load efficiency no ? It's +£20 to go from 750w to 850w while it's around £70 to go from Gold 750w to the Prime Titanium

To make the Prime T viable the efficiency difference would have to be greater than 33% over the course of 10 years, I know there'll be a slight difference but surely not 33% ?
please do not get a bigger PSU thinking it's better for efficiency. as pointed out it will be self defeating at low loads and would be a waste of £20.

w/o any rig specs or usage stated it is near impossible to answer those questions. however, i will mention that at higher loads more often, that £70 extra *may be* beneficial. but if the extra cash is an obstacle or the rig is idling/light use most of the time, then just go for the 750 gold.

but whatever you decide, i wish the best. :thumb:

·
Mr.4way SLI
5,522 Posts
The Seasonic Focus Plus gold 750 and 850 are great units and have really good warranties. But to be honest since the 850 unit is only a couple dollars more and gives you a bit more headroom I would grab it.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
please do not get a bigger PSU thinking it's better for efficiency. as pointed out it will be self defeating at low loads and would be a waste of £20.

w/o any rig specs or usage stated it is near impossible to answer those questions. however, i will mention that at higher loads more often, that £70 extra *may be* beneficial. but if the extra cash is an obstacle or the rig is idling/light use most of the time, then just go for the 750 gold.

but whatever you decide, i wish the best. :thumb:

I'm under no illusion that more W = better efficiency

What I'm asking is if the difference in efficiency is going to be more than the 33% difference in overall cost

The money isn't an issue for me, what matters is if I'm getting value for that money

·
Not new to Overclock.net
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Saw 850w Antec Gold (rebranded focus plus with same 10 year warranty) on offer so ended up buying that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts