Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am currently running dual 2GB GTX 760's in sli. I will be adding a 4k monitor to my setup pretty soon, got the awesome $350 acer deal, and I am wondering if the 760's will be enough. Now I know that it is by no means ideal because of the lower horsepower and the lower vram, but I am wondering if i would be ABLE to run games smoothly at 4k or should I invest in a pair of 970's?

Note: the main games i play are planetside 2, borderlands, civ 5, starcraft 2, space engineers, and a little dota

Thank you in advance for the help
smile.gif

Edit: I know that the 760's are by no means ideal and that sli 970's would be much better, I just am wondering if it is possible to run mainly, planetside 2 and borderlands pre-sequel. I ask this because I want to try to wait for 20nm or 16nm process (depending if they do 20nm or not) before I upgrade.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
2gb of RAM does not sound like it's enough for 4k.

·
I fix Stuff
5,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancer View Post

2gb of RAM does not sound like it's enough for 4k.
This, if they were 4gb 760s then i would say you just might cut it for 4k but not running all games maxed obviously. 1440P you maybe able to cut it with 2gb if that was an option you were playing with.

Also if you find your 760s are not enough start off with a single 970 and go from there. I got mine in and woah is it impressing me. @5760x1080 it is a beast, so maybe for 4k you could do with another one but for the games you mentioned just start with 1 if it comes down to it.

EDIT: hit me up for some pre-sequel co-op
smile.gif

·
I fix Stuff
5,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuredragon1 View Post

no, I used over 2gb of vram at 1440p with my 7950s so I would expect that at 4k it would be pushing 3gb.
That also depends on the titles that the user plays. Playing at 5760x1080, which I believe is a little more than 1440P, 2gb was enough. I just upgraded a week ago for more vram. before with the titles that i played 2gb was plenty even at the triple 1080P. was not until far cry 4 where i saw i needed more.

EDIT: over half the games listed in the OP are more dependent on the cpu from what i remember.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm far from being a subject matter expert about 4k, but here is what I know.

HDMI vs DisplayPort
You need to decide if you go with HDMI or DisplayPort.
  • With HDMI, you stuck at a refresh rate of 30 Hz (unless your monitor and video cards support the new HDMI 2.0).
  • With DisplayPort, you can get a refresh rate of 60 Hz
3840 x 2160
You ideally want to play at 60 FPS for a smooth game-play. I looked at various articles and benchmarks and it looks like that 2x 760 won't be enough for a smooth 4k gaming experience.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by easynator View Post

I'm far from being a subject matter expert about 4k, but here is what I know.

HDMI vs DisplayPort
You need to decide if you go with HDMI or DisplayPort.
  • With HDMI, you stuck at a refresh rate of 30 Hz (unless your monitor and video cards support the new HDMI 2.0).
  • With DisplayPort, you can get a refresh rate of 60 Hz
3840 x 2160
You ideally want to play at 60 FPS for a smooth game-play. I looked at various articles and benchmarks and it looks like that 2x 760 won't be enough for a smooth 4k gaming experience.
Well I already have a display port cable that um using in my current monitor.
Yeah... I figured...

And it seems that 2Gigs of ram is unanimously not enough, it appears that ill be investing in some 970's. Thanks for the help everyone, +reps all round
smile.gif

·
I fix Stuff
5,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODSTjoker View Post

Well I already have a display port cable that um using in my current monitor.
Yeah... I figured...

And it seems that 2Gigs of ram is unanimously not enough, it appears that ill be investing in some 970's. Thanks for the help everyone, +reps all round
smile.gif
As I had advised before. Start with 1 970 to see if performance is adequate for those select titles. Would be less of a waste of money if it is. then if 1 isn't enough the second one won't be too far behind.
smile.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts