Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know which forum this hsould really be in since it involves the proc. and ram.

So, I have a 2400+-M and i am going to be overclocking in a few days when i get my new mobo and PSU. I just got a 512mb stick of Corsair 3200, and i already have a 256 stick of cheapy 2700 in my old board. So which would be better? Having [email protected] running about 2.1 / 2.2ghz. Or [email protected] running 2.1 / 2.2 ?

This is for gaming, I dont do much else. Half life 2 is a demanding game, so it was time to upgrade.

Any help would be great.thanks
p.s 22A on the 12+V on a psu is decent for OCing right?

·
Overclockiit
3,425 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by what?
I don't know which forum this hsould really be in since it involves the proc. and ram.

So, I have a 2400+-M and i am going to be overclocking in a few days when i get my new mobo and PSU. I just got a 512mb stick of Corsair 3200, and i already have a 256 stick of cheapy 2700 in my old board. So which would be better? Having [email protected] running about 2.1 / 2.2ghz. Or [email protected] running 2.1 / 2.2 ?

This is for gaming, I dont do much else. Half life 2 is a demanding game, so it was time to upgrade.

Any help would be great.thanks
p.s 22A on the 12+V on a psu is decent for OCing right?
512 running at DDR400 will you give you the best performance!

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by |2A|N
512 running at DDR400 will you give you the best performance!
IMO, Rain is correct.

·
Registered
840 Posts
It's funny this was asked cause I just came from my friends house who's got 768mb of 333 RAM and I asked him to benchmark with Sandra on the memory bandwidth module. He got 1950mb/s... and I get 5000mb/s with only 512mb at 400 in dual channel.
His system was a P4 3.06 533FSB + Asus P4C800-E Deluxe.

·
Registered
645 Posts
i agree with shermstix, try and OCing the third stick to 200. I have a stick of 2700 that runs above 3200 just fine. Its just a matter of luck, and wont damage anything, so i'd say go for it!

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shermstix
Try using all three sticks at 400Mhz. If the RAM can handle it then cool. If not, then the 512Mhz at 400Mhz will be faster, but the benefit of having 768MB over 512MB might be worth the bandwidth loss. Try and see which one allows your programs to load faster.
Actually 3 sticks is known to "load" the RAM buss and can be less effective over all. It's a deep subject but lets say you have a 512 and 2x256 meg modules = 1 gig. 2 512 even if they are not DC DDR will out perform them if they are "all" of the same quality, speed, etc...
Another thing to watch is some boards are fussy when you mix different speeds or if the modules chip config differs ie 1 module has 8 chips on one side and the other module has 16 chips w/8 on each side.
Volume does not constitute improvement. The slowest stick will not only slow down the faster rated stick but it will also cause them to both run at the slower sticks timings.. CAS, RAS etc...
Get CPU-Z at www.cpuid.com to determine the timing settings if you don't know em.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Couldnt edit ??? last post

Get CPU-Z at www.cpuid.com to determine the timing settings if you don't know em. You may be able to run the 333Mhz stick at 400Mhz if its CAS2.5 and will be able to if it's a CAS2 module. You may need to up the mem voltage a tenth or 2 though!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
your better with 768 than 512mb. As mentioned above you may be able to run your 333Mhz @400Mhz. The timings may have to be loosened (put to CAS 3 etc) and then you'll have a Gig.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke
Actually 3 sticks is known to "load" the RAM buss and can be less effective over all. It's a deep subject but lets say you have a 512 and 2x256 meg modules = 1 gig. 2 512 even if they are not DC DDR will out perform them if they are "all" of the same quality, speed, etc...
Another thing to watch is some boards are fussy when you mix different speeds or if the modules chip config differs ie 1 module has 8 chips on one side and the other module has 16 chips w/8 on each side.
Volume does not constitute improvement. The slowest stick will not only slow down the faster rated stick but it will also cause them to both run at the slower sticks timings.. CAS, RAS etc...
Get CPU-Z at www.cpuid.com to determine the timing settings if you don't know em.
Everything is hypethetical. While some motherboards might have issues some might not. Some CPU's overclock well, some don't. It's all in the luck of the draw. In my opinion, it couldn't hurt to try running all three sticks at 400Mhz, even with looser timmings. It's well worth a shot; I think so.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont mind trying to OC my 2100 and 2700. Though i doubt my 2100 will get to 3200... I will only have 2 sticks if i ditch the 2100. They'll be my one stick of 2700 and 1 3200.

My 2700 timings are 2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 ( so it says in cpu-z)
the 3200 timings are 2.5-3-3-8 .

I know that technically the pc400 will be better than the 333, but im am afraid that Half life 2 will need more than 512mb's of ram. Damn game! Guess this will be trial and error when i get my gear on wed.

My rig will be
Shuttle an35n-ultra mobo
amd 2400-m @ 2.1ish
512 pc3200 / or 768 @ pc2700
Rosewill PSU 450 watt ( 30 bucks!, good amps too)
9600xt

Time to save up for another stick of that 512 to run in dual channel mode. And a nvidia 6600gt. Someone give me 300$

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by what?

... Someone give me 300$...

LOL... sounds like that other thread, dude askin for donations! Just kiddin man...

But as for the ram, I've always had better luck (and been told) running equal speed/freq. ram in pairs (not neccesarily same brands) or 'matched pairs'... By matched I mean identical make/model ram with consecutive serial #'s on each stick (ie. 75688 & 75689), which just happens to be what I have waiting at my work for me to pick-up (the other $100 512mb stick). I picked them from our stock myself to make sure I got a pair, but only bought 1 and put the other in the office... Anyway... Just my .02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts