Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Dark redish gold... Um, silver? Thats not rust, thats the brass colored finish. It sounds like some of the brass finish got rubbed off, and the bare aluminum is showing. That is not good, the brass finish is suposed to keep the heatercore from oxidizing. You should return it, or paint it with a protective layer of paint, to keep the heatercore from corroding.

·
Premium Member
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, It was my fault I was looking at it under funky light w/ shadows -_-, anyways forget that.

One thing though, is there an faq somewhere on cutting down the heatercore's pipes, i hear i have to do that?

EDIT: also do I need any barbs im using 1/2 tubes

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopes

Ah, It was my fault I was looking at it under funky light w/ shadows -_-, anyways forget that.

One thing though, is there an faq somewhere on cutting down the heatercore's pipes, i hear i have to do that?

All I did with my 77' was cut both of the pipes down, so that they were equal length, and both had an OD of 5/8", and I soaked the tubing (1/2" ID tygon) in warm water then stretched it over the barbs, and it works great.

You don't have to fit the barbs with 1/2" OD to 5/8" OD adapters.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Quote:

EDIT: also do I need any barbs im using 1/2 tubes

Read Deathonator's guide.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Use a file to get the silver stuff off of the barbs... Mine had the same stuff. 10 minutes of 'sanding' will take it right off. To get the tubing over the barbs, you have to cuff part of it off with a dremel, then heat the tubing in water, and slide it over.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Quote:

I talked to some people and they said all you have to do is cut down the heatercore, and just heat up the tubing and just stretch it on, no need for any attachments? Is this true?

Pretty much. It beats cutting the thing up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Some_Idiot2
Dark redish gold... Um, silver? Thats not rust, thats the brass colored finish. It sounds like some of the brass finish got rubbed off, and the bare aluminum is showing. That is not good, the brass finish is suposed to keep the heatercore from oxidizing. You should return it, or paint it with a protective layer of paint, to keep the heatercore from corroding.
kinda old but if you get your heatercores from the right people and that arent the ones who send you the :turd: cores your core should be alreayd protected with a coat that keeps it from rusting and what not you just dont see it so its best not to paint it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts