Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since games are starting to use more and more memory with higher res textures and such, would I be better of getting a 780 with 3gb of ram or 770 with 4gb of ram? Or, as a third possibility, should i wait for the 800 series to come out? I am planning to have all my parts for my build by the end of october, so should I wait for the 800 series or get something now?

This is what I plan to get as of now: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2ZPav

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50shadesofray View Post

If you have the money go with the 780 hands down. But since you are waiting till october i would wait to see what maxwell (800 series) offers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr3v View Post

Agreed. The 800 series is going to kick ass.
Will maxwell 800 series card be significantly more expensive than a 780?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes1099 View Post

Will maxwell 800 series card be significantly more expensive than a 780?
Unlikely, I'm thinking you will see cards with Titan/780ti performance for $400-500 maybe less if AMD cards ever drop back down to MSRP.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so I will wait for maxwell 800s, research performance benchmarks, compare to 780, and then make a choice from there.

I hope someone comes out with something like the kraken g10 for the 800 series so i can use a closed loop cooler on my gpu...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone know anything about when the 800 series of desktop cards is coming out? I saw that the 820m mobile card came out recently, but thats for laptops.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internets View Post

Keep in mind that DX11.2 is going to reduce VRAM usage substantially in games of the future.

http://youtu.be/QB0VKmk5bmI?t=8m20s
i cant see this at work, but what is it doing exactly?
just better buffer management or something?

and OP, id wait for maxwell and if you dont like what you see get a 780 as the prices will be down by then...the 770 4gb is not worth the money, the 4gb of vram is a ploy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts