Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here goes nothing!!
I have the following system its primarly used by my family for games , music, you tube! I want to put the gts 250,s from my sig rig in to it . Problem is it has only on pcie slot. I could just put in a single card but thats no fun! I have had no luck finding a suitable board ! I would like a good sli board and who knows maybe a mild overclock as well!
biggrin.gif

Here is my current rig

E7500 @ 2.9 ghz
intell/dell motherboard/ onboard video
stock cpu cooler
8 gb 1066mhz 4 x 2 gb
xfx black-650w psu
1 samsung f3 1tb
sony dvd/rewriter

So should i keep looking for a mobo or just throw one card in ! It will work fine for what i need just be nice to put both cards to use! Any suggestions that wont cost a arm and a legg would be helpfull!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
You could get a used nforce 780i/790i board. I don't see any good 775 boards on sale.

• Rep+
Reactions: MIKEVALL

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Watch ebay for a while and pick up an EVGA 750i FTW. The main problem is they sell for $80+. The 780i boards sell for even more.

You could also pick up a crossfire board like an X38 or X48 and hack SLI, but in my experience it's a pain getting it to work right, driver issues etc.

Bottom line: You could drop $80-100 on a used 750i, or you could drop $130-150 on a new GTX460 and it would be faster.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Good multiple PCI Express alot socket 775 boards are few and far between in the retail channel, last I checked.

You're also going to need a new copy of Windows as well, as the Dell one it has know (judging by the motherboard) won't install on anything but a Dell motherboard/system.

For that PC's use, just use one. You say "games" are a use, but with that onboard video, I'm guessing it's real light stuff that even a single GeForce GTS 250 will be bored with. I say save the hassle and go with one.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by adizz
View Post

You could get a used nforce 780i/790i board. I don't see any good 775 boards on sale.

This is the board i had my eye on! Cant seem to find any new ones. This looks like a sweet board1 XFX also.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thAche;12994956
Watch ebay for a while and pick up an EVGA 750i FTW. The main problem is they sell for $80+. The 780i boards sell for even more.

You could also pick up a crossfire board like an X38 or X48 and hack SLI, but in my experience it's a pain getting it to work right, driver issues etc.

Bottom line: You could drop $80-100 on a used 750i, or you could drop $130-150 on a new GTX460 and it would be faster.
Not a bad idea? I just was hoping to play with it a little too( overclocking)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts