Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with my specs I was hopeing to run alot of games on real high settings which I can for the most part but dont you think I should be able to run need 4 speed most wanted with all settings all the way up including aa. well when I do I get alot of hicups maybe somone can help me out here or do I just have high hopes? also my vid card seems to run a little hot when I open atitools 3d window on stock video card settings I can get up to 71c is that normal? thnak for any comments

·
Premium Member
20,531 Posts
Do you have the stock cooler on the card? If you intend to push the OC, you should invest in a Zalman VF-700 (only the all copper model) or the Artic Cooling Silencer

·
OG
1,622 Posts
Ya thats a bit hot,and make sure you have no adware, viruses,run disk cleanup,and defragment your harddrive.Cause with your specs you shouldn't get any lag.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I do have the stock cooler and I got the 15 instead of the 17 cause didnt know at the time so Im not to sure which one is copper oh yeah my card reaches 73c now at stock with ati 3d veiw open

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
what kind of air flow do you have in your case because it sounds pretty warm at stock, i think mine was running at like 40c stock idle and with wc it idles 31c with 40c load with it oced to 490/1200 but it shouldnt be that much better then yours

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was also windering about the fans I have. Ive got three fans one sie one front one back which way do youguys think I should point these fans

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
hey, that 7800gt seems a bit warm. Mine idles about 40... not really sure about load, but I'm pretty sure it's not that high.

what do you have for cooling in the rest of your system? You might want toinvest in a couple case fans to help get some more airflow through your case. that should help your case temps. (but don't do this if you are unsure if your psu can handle it... see my next point)

one thing to suspect if you aren't getting the performance you think your system should have... your psu. how many amps are on the 12v rail?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Take the sidepanel off you case. Then look at the sticker on you psu and then type the stuff out.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
there will be a sticker or a stamping somewhere on your psu that will list the rails. you may have to look at the top of the psu...so you might have to take it out of the case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
input 115v 10a/6a/60/50hz
output +3.3/+5/+12/-12/-5/+5
26a 35a 15a 0.8a

thits is pretty much the layout of the numbers so does that mean 15 amps to the 12v rail

·
Registered
732 Posts
Ya there is a huge problem 15 amps running your 7800. I would consider a new psu soon as that can't be too stable with all that load.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
when you say stable you mean crashes and such cause I havent had a crash or just that its not getting the power it need so its lagging?

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
you definatly need a new psu... that is probably why you are having performance issues w/your system.

you should really look for a high quality 500w+ psu.

some good ones are:
Sunbeam nuuo
Seasonic S12-600

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.