Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the stock cooper heatsink on my BFG 7800gt with an Arctic Cooler NV5. I used the supplied thermal pads, made sure everything was lined up and seating correctly. For some reason my idle temps are around 50-53*C and under 100% load (COD2 for 1hr.+) It gets all the way up to 92*C. I know these temps are waaaayyy too hot for this cooler. What can I check/adjust to lower them?

-Allen
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,451 Posts
NEVER USE THE SUPPLIED THERMAL PASTE!!!

Go get some AS5 and reseat it.
You should be getting waaaaay better temps than that.
Supposedly it rivals the vf700 which I have.
And Im getting idle temps less than 33, dunno what they are because either the temp sensor or the monitoring software doesnt go below 33.
And around 50-54 for load, which is about -16'c than my stock.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,315 Posts
I have the same card with a Zalman VF-700CU (using artic silver paste). With idle it runs at 38'C. Full load over extended periods of time, the highest I've had is 47'C. Something definitely wrong there. You should be using proper thermal paste first. I've never tried the Artic Cooler but my understanding was that only the revision 5 was for the 7800 series (I could be wrong).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by tweako_420

NEVER USE THE SUPPLIED THERMAL PASTE!!!

Go get some AS5 and reseat it.
You should be getting waaaaay better temps than that.
Supposedly it rivals the vf700 which I have.
And Im getting idle temps less than 33, dunno what they are because either the temp sensor or the monitoring software doesnt go below 33.
And around 50-54 for load, which is about -16'c than my stock.

Thanks. I have to use the supplied pads on the memory coolers. Otherwise it won't stick. (Doesn't screw down like the stock. Memory cooler just sticks to the back side with the supplied pads.)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,732 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Evolutionsentra

Thanks. I have to use the supplied pads on the memory coolers. Otherwise it won't stick. (Doesn't screw down like the stock. Memory cooler just sticks to the back side with the supplied pads.)

If you don't care about it being permanent, use Arctic Silver Adhesive for the memory modules.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:


Originally Posted by tweako_420

Those are the ones that come with the vf700 Id recomend getting some ocz copper ramsinks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835126051 ?

Should I tried the supplied thermal tape first? Or just go straight to the adhesive AS5?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,451 Posts
Id recomend going straight to adhesive if you KNOW they will fit and are those ramsinks in your link.
You dont want to put em on only to realise that they are too big.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:


Originally Posted by tweako_420

Id recomend going straight to adhesive if you KNOW they will fit and are those ramsinks in your link.
You dont want to put em on only to realise that they are too big.

Is there a way to measure the ram on the 7800gt? B/c the cooler plate with the Arctic nv5 is just one big plate with thermal tape on the back side.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,451 Posts
Thats not what I was talking about exactly.
The ramsinks are the right size, im just saying to check if theres anything above the video card that wont allow u to put the ramsinks on or if somehow the cooler has something there restricitng the size of ramsinks you can have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:


Originally Posted by tweako_420

Thats not what I was talking about exactly.
The ramsinks are the right size, im just saying to check if theres anything above the video card that wont allow u to put the ramsinks on or if somehow the cooler has something there restricitng the size of ramsinks you can have.

gotcha. I'll have to measure when I get home. Thanks. Rep'd.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top