Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I am currently planning a full water cooled loop into my case labs mercury s5. After exhausting research and not really liking any current mainstream ( x370 or b350 or z370 ) M-atx motherboards. I have decided to go with the X299 or X399 8 cores CPU. With that being said I am just trying to see which platform I should go with. I primarily do programming and Gaming, before someone says well its overkill going to that platform, I already know this, but like I stated before I want a good quality with good options Matx board, and this build will last me. I will be using some of my current parts along with my 1080 ti, i game at 1440p at 144hrtz. So which one would you go with, X299 or X399?

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
You only have one choice for an X399 mATX board -- the ASRock X399M Taichi (not available yet AFAIK). You obviously have more choices with X299.

I just built my first HEDT platform computer -- Heatripper Threadkiller (see sig) -- with the full ATX X399 Taichi. I would have no problem recommending the X399M Taichi.

The problem is that if you went with a 1900X CPU you would have worse gaming performance than a Ryzen R7 eight-core CPU.

I would have to recommend the X299/7820X if you really want an eight-core CPU on the HEDT platform. You would have more choices and higher performance.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Go with Intel for gaming, no doubt. I've had a 1950X and it lagged vastly behind an 7920X in games.

·
Overclocker in training
13,999 Posts
Hi,
I almost got a 7820
I ended up with a 7900x but either way you'd probably want to visit silicon lottery to delid a retail one or buy one from them if they still have them around.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Go with Intel for gaming, no doubt. I've had a 1950X and it lagged vastly behind an 7920X in games.
Vastly? Maybe at 1080p. At 1440p there is a difference but it wouldn't be vast. And at 4K there would be very little difference if any.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
The 1950X @ 4GHz was bottlenecking my 1080Ti's in 1440p like crazy, who would've thought. That's the main reason I got rid of the TR so quicky.
I had dips to 50-60% GPU usage and constant stuttering in certain scenes whereas the Intel rig could keep it at 95% and up most of the time in the same games.
TR is just not optimal for gaming because it's a dual socket NUMA server thingy crammed into 1 substrate.

·
Registered
780 Posts
i have the 7820 bought from silicon lottery so the cracked it open and changed the bird poop puddy with metal... it's on a AIO water cooler at 5.0gh no ht. treats my 1080 ti nicely. I've heard they run hot if you are an overclocker get one from SL. IMHO unless you can DIY.

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,168 Posts
That resolution and refresh rate is perfect for any CPU with fast single-thread performance, and sufficient multi-thread for your other need. Since you capitalized the G instead of the p, I'd suggest you take another close look at Z370 and whether 12 threads at 5GHz+ is sufficient for your p needs.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
The 1950X @ 4GHz was bottlenecking my 1080Ti's in 1440p like crazy, who would've thought. That's the main reason I got rid of the TR so quicky.
I had dips to 50-60% GPU usage and constant stuttering in certain scenes whereas the Intel rig could keep it at 95% and up most of the time in the same games.
TR is just not optimal for gaming because it's a dual socket NUMA server thingy crammed into 1 substrate.
I haven't had that experience at all with Heatripper Threadkiller (1950X 4GHz w/ Titan Xp +156 +400, may go higher once I install the custom loop).

Assuming your reference to plural GPUs is SLI maybe it had something to do with that.

Of course, maybe it's the game too. You didn't mention the name, so I don't know if I even have it to test.

If you had Process Lasso or a similar program, you could have tried different settings in there to increase performance on the TR as well. But that chance has passed of course, since you got rid of the TR system.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have the 7820 bought from silicon lottery so the cracked it open and changed the bird poop puddy with metal... it's on a AIO water cooler at 5.0gh no ht. treats my 1080 ti nicely. I've heard they run hot if you are an overclocker get one from SL. IMHO unless you can DIY.
thx yeah I was going to go that route, another question for you I already have an evga g3 supernova gold750 watt PSU that's only a year old, will that be enough or should I get an 850?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You only have one choice for an X399 mATX board -- the ASRock X399M Taichi (not available yet AFAIK). You obviously have more choices with X299.

I just built my first HEDT platform computer -- Heatripper Threadkiller (see sig) -- with the full ATX X399 Taichi. I would have no problem recommending the X399M Taichi.

The problem is that if you went with a 1900X CPU you would have worse gaming performance than a Ryzen R7 eight-core CPU.

I would have to recommend the X299/7820X if you really want an eight-core CPU on the HEDT platform. You would have more choices and higher performance.
Thx for the input, yeah I saw the ASRock x399m coming soon, but I think after reading these post and doing some research I am leaning towards the x299 MSI gaming m carbon. I see your running your system with a 750 watt, i also have a 750 EVGA g3 supernova gold, was wondering if that 750 is enough or would 850 be better?

·
Overclocker in training
13,999 Posts

·
R2D2C4Z9
139 Posts
Okay, I am currently planning a full water cooled loop into my case labs mercury s5. After exhausting research and not really liking any current mainstream ( x370 or b350 or z370 ) M-atx motherboards. I have decided to go with the X299 or X399 8 cores CPU. With that being said I am just trying to see which platform I should go with. I primarily do programming and Gaming, before someone says well its overkill going to that platform, I already know this, but like I stated before I want a good quality with good options Matx board, and this build will last me. I will be using some of my current parts along with my 1080 ti, i game at 1440p at 144hrtz. So which one would you go with, X299 or X399?
What programs do you using while programming?
I belive 8700K could be better option than 7820x.

I found benchmark with underclocked 8700 @ 3Ghz vs 1700x in 3DCAD
And 8700K losing performance in Adobe Premiere only a little bit in multicore performance vs 7820x https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...ormance-Core-i7-8700K-i5-8600K-i3-8350K-1047/
But 8700K still outperforms 7820x in any single core tasks.

Soooo mb in your software 8700K will perform a lot better or worse than alternative?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What programs do you using while programming?
I belive 8700K could be better option than 7820x.

I found benchmark with underclocked 8700 @ 3Ghz vs 1700x in 3DCAD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hwxlHhnpoY
And 8700K losing performance in Adobe Premiere only a little bit in multicore performance vs 7820x https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...ormance-Core-i7-8700K-i5-8600K-i3-8350K-1047/
But 8700K still outperforms 7820x in any single core tasks.

Soooo mb in your software 8700K will perform a lot better or worse than alternative?
I use eclipse and visual studio.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Thx for the input, yeah I saw the ASRock x399m coming soon, but I think after reading these post and doing some research I am leaning towards the x299 MSI gaming m carbon. I see your running your system with a 750 watt, i also have a 750 EVGA g3 supernova gold, was wondering if that 750 is enough or would 850 be better?
Highest I've seen on Heatripper Threadkiller is 640W from the wall (Kill A Watt EZ meter). CPU 4GHz 1.35v or so (I forget the exact offset I use), GPU +156 +400. That was on a long-duration RealBench v2.56 (uses AVX) run so it was using 100% CPU and GPU and basically all of my 32GB RAM.

Now that I've got my custom loop installed, I may try to go higher on CPU and GPU overclocks.

I'm perfectly comfortable with that on a quality 750W power supply because I know that my normal usage will never approach that.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've read a review of the MSI X299M carbon warning that the VRM cooling is weak. Consider the ASRock X299M Extreme4 or the EVGA X299 Micro instead. ASRock is very inexpensive, but still a decent board. The Micro is nicer and between the ASRock and MSI price wise.

Regarding X399 or X299, you mentioned gaming so I would go X299. 1440p and the X399 should not be the bottleneck, but unless you enjoy fiddling with settings the Threadripper might be inconsistent. And at the level of 1900X vs 5820X and mATX (when you don't need 44 let alone 60 lanes) the main selling point of Threadripper (60 lanes free for you) becomes irrelevant. Also looking at current prices there is little difference between the price of the two CPUs. And the little money you save on the 1900X is eaten up by the X399M motherboard compared to the X299M equivalent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts