Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
Check your GPU usage using another software (like AB). If it's high during idle (sounds strange I know) then do the following:
Open 'Task Manager', go to the 'Processes' tap and click on memory tap to arrange them by highest first.
Is there a process called 'system32' on the very top? if so, right click on it & 'end process tree'......

·
Registered
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Jai View Post

apparently XFX is telling me thats stupposed to be about right 60 celsius on idle
Are you running more then one monitor? on my 7950 I get a idle temp of 33C with one monitor, and 45-50C while running two.

I also had to change the tim on my gpu because xfx put way to much on at the factory. old idle temp was 40C with one monitor, and 55C with two, the new temp was 33-36C with one, and 45-50 with two monitors .

My load temps are 80C at 1GHz in kombustor, and 75C in heaven and games

Edit: I just read your system specs, and I see that you are running two monitors. If I was you I would change the thermal paste on your card, to something like MX-4 or arctic silver 5.

Your card will most likely have two stickers on the screws saying warranty void if removed, those only apply in the EU, you are 100% allowed to remove the cooler on xfx cards in North America

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah makes me wonder, ITS SEEMs so hot for just sitting here not running anything, i was almost tempted TO REMOVE all the cooling on it and get the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186067&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-VGA+Cooling-_-N82E16835186067&gclid=CMuzzs-N37UCFZCf4Aod7zcAIA to replace it, ive never seen a card run this hot. Even if i unplug 2nd monitor (WHICH I DO NOT USE FOR GAMING) just instead ofg alt tabbing i just throw my mouse over there, temps dont chane, should i just upgrade the cooling on it if im going to remove it, or why not just go with the 0c with speed boost 7970

·
Registered
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Jai View Post

yeah makes me wonder, ITS SEEMs so hot for just sitting here not running anything, i was almost tempted TO REMOVE all the cooling on it and get the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186067&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-VGA+Cooling-_-N82E16835186067&gclid=CMuzzs-N37UCFZCf4Aod7zcAIA to replace it, ive never seen a card run this hot. Even if i unplug 2nd monitor (WHICH I DO NOT USE FOR GAMING) just instead ofg alt tabbing i just throw my mouse over there, temps dont chane, should i just upgrade the cooling on it if im going to remove it, or why not just go with the 0c with speed boost 7970
If you want to go that route then just grab an antec 620 from ncix for only $60, and grab a bracket for it from Dwood's site to install it. That way you save 50% and get the exact same end result

Link to Dwoods thread Link
Link to Antec 620 Link 60.65
Dwoods standard bracket fan mount Link $8.00
Dwoods Personalized Lip Fan Bracket Link $15.00

You will also need a copper shim for the GPU Link

:Edit I would first just try a change of tim first, before you spend any money on parts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts