Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just got a new rig from TigerDirect.ca. I can't seem to get it stable at anything over 3.0 GHz! This is my setup:

MSI 785GTM-E45 mobo
7850 BE (stock fan)
2 x 2 GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM

I've tried some of the suggested settings but nothing seems to work ATM.

Can anyone lend a hand? I really only want to get it up to 3.2 GHz and I've heard that's WELL within the realm of possibility.

Right now it's "stable" at 3.0 and stock voltage. (I say "stable" as I haven't run any stress tests but it boots windows and seems to be running smoothly ATM.)

Thanks

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Yea it is odd that no one has replied

So are you familiar with the bios? such as voltages and your multi?

Everything aside from your CPU OC is stock right?

Go ahead and download Linx/Prime95 for OC testing as well as Coretemp for temperature monitoring

You don't have to but you may want to look into an application such as Everest to monitor your NB temperatures albeit you really shouldn't have to

At this point all you should need to do is start cranking the multi and slapping some voltage on 'er

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmunn
View Post

First you need to make sure it's stable at 3.0. Get one or more of the programs that Rewind listed. Go for 3hrs on Prime95 blend mode and/or at least 20 passes on Linx. Report your results here.

Also watch your temps and report those as well.

Yes yes

I was in a hurry

Linx is good to start with when you are testing a new voltage and clocking as Linx can usually find instability pretty quickly if its there

Good luck and report back

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for your support guys!

I'm going to run 20 passes on Linx first as I'm pretty sure it's stable at 3.0 GHz. It rarely ever goes above 53C at full load and it's thermally designed for 73C IIRC.

I'll let you know the results of the 20 passes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Woah, after like 11 passes of a 10k problem size my CPU is at 75C! That's definitely not good...

Passed. But the temps scare me. If I find that I can get it to 3.2 GHz and keep it stable, then I will definitely invest in a better cooler in the $20 - $30 range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts