Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i have a problem. I have a XFX 7900GT OC 550mhz/1.6ghz (stock from factory). Now i want to SLI but the problem is they don't make my card any more (PV-TG17-UDP7)
I've checked like every website, checked ebay but nothing. So i phoned up XFX and started complaining....and they said that i could use ANY card aslong as the GPU (7900 GT) and the ram (256) is the same. O.k that made my feel better. I goto the store to buy an MSI 7900 GT and the guy is like it won't work that good because both the cards are different?! Different chips components/software etc....not a good idea. Ohhh o.k. So i've also tracked down another XFX card that runs as 520 OC (can't OC any more) but not sure if that's a good idea since one card is at 520 and another is at 550. So my question is:
1) Can i run 2 different cards as long as the gpu is the same or will i have problems?
2) Should i get the 520 OC edition from XFX?
3) Any other suggestions on what i can do? (besides sell my card).

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wutang
View Post

Alright i have a problem. I have a XFX 7900GT OC 550mhz/1.6ghz (stock from factory). Now i want to SLI but the problem is they don't make my card any more (PV-TG17-UDP7)
I've checked like every website, checked ebay but nothing. So i phoned up XFX and started complaining....and they said that i could use ANY card aslong as the GPU (7900 GT) and the ram (256) is the same. O.k that made my feel better. I goto the store to buy an MSI 7900 GT and the guy is like it won't work that good because both the cards are different?! Different chips components/software etc....not a good idea. Ohhh o.k. So i've also tracked down another XFX card that runs as 520 OC (can't OC any more) but not sure if that's a good idea since one card is at 520 and another is at 550. So my question is:
1) Can i run 2 different cards as long as the gpu is the same or will i have problems?
2) Should i get the 520 OC edition from XFX?
3) Any other suggestions on what i can do? (besides sell my card).

You installed?It work in SLI?Go and try.Nothing going to happen if don't work.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Two different manufacturer cards will work in SLI as long as they are the same core e.g 7900GT & 7900GT, 7900GS & 7900GS........no pick & mix

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
both cards will definately work together. both cards will operate at the slower speeds of the two.

although... why SLI 2 7900GT's at this point? sell one for $200 and use the $300ish from the 2nd to buy a 8800GTS

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would 2 SLI 7900's gt's running at 550mhz/1.6ghz run faster than one 8800? Or would the 8800 outperform both of them?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts