Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
the 7600gt looks like a promising card - it might just be on the agenda.

I hope a softmod pops up allowing you to unlock some extra pixel shaders - if it essentailly has the same core as the 7900gt then it would be cheaper for nvidia to put the same core in and lock the pipes in the BIOS. We can dream

·
Registered
850 Posts
we can dream during the night but when you are awake, you dream more normally and a 7600gt will not equal a 7900gt, thre is a 100$ price difference

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
^^That would be awesome.

It looks like the 7600GT blows the X1600 out of the water... a single one only loses to dual X1600Pros by about 80 points.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by uTunes

we can dream during the night but when you are awake, you dream more normally and a 7600gt will not equal a 7900gt, thre is a 100$ price difference

Not so much that as there is a Pixel Pipeline difference. I might be a little off but isnt the 7600GT only have 16 pixel pipelines and the 7900GT, 24??

Doesn't matter about price it's about the hardware capabilities being too spaced out. The 7800GT and 7800GTX were very close in performance and I think nVidia got the hint to make the Middle Tier card (7600GT) underperform more against a Lower-Upper Tier (7900GT) so they can get the people to buy 7900GT's who can afford it, but yet cater to the people who can quite get there.

I think they did a good job this time around for pricing and performance on all levels beucase I think it would be dumb to buy a 7800GTX when you could easily get a 7800GT for so much less but yet have perform very very close.

Also, there probably wont ever be a Soft-mod for cards in the future since the pipelines are laser locked and no software BIOS change will unlock the added pipelines. I'm sure nVidia lost some money when people exploited the flaw in the 6600/6800 series cards, as the same probably was ture with ATi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts