Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my 7900GTO. I used driver cleaner to remove my ATI files then put in the card and installed the drivers from the CD it came with. Ran the CS:S stress test and the results were not as high as the should have been. So I went into ATI tool and the 3d clock settings for the card were set much lower than stock. So I bumped all of the speeds up to stock speeds for a 7900GTO and the cable that I had connected to the six pin connector in the video card fried almost instantly. Luckily nothing else on my PC was damaged. So I took one of the 4 pin to 6 pin converters that comes with the card and plugged in a different cable and everything started correctly. Except now I get the message from windows that tell me because of a hardware change I need to reactivate windows which I shouldn't have to with a new video install. Also I am kind of scared to bump the clocks up on the 7900GTO again fearing that something may be wrong with my powersupply and that the cord failing may have saved me from a fried card. Any help and insight into both of these problems is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just PM a mod and ask them if it is ok. I think that the thing with the cable was just a freak accident. My PSU should be able to handle a 3400+ not overclocked, 1 stick of ram, 1 HDD, 1 case fan, 1 DVD RW drive, an Audigy SE and a 7900GTO.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My PSU should be able to handle this card correct?

·
Registered
551 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Malaziel</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">My PSU should be able to handle this card correct?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Defnitely, as long as you have 22 amps on your +12 volt your card can definitely handle it.<br><br>
Now I have no idea about why overclocking would fry your wire, but did you by anychance adjust the 2D clock WAY up and the 3d-low-power clock WAY up? These two were set at 275mhz and 630mhz stock, respectively, only the last column called 3D-performance affects video games and 3dmark and such, and that is the one set at 650 that you will get better results from overclocking. I don't know if bumping the other clocks way up would cause the problems you experienced though...but I was a bit confused at first when I saw 3 different core clock readings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts