Overclock.net banner

7900GTX or 7900GT plus 1GB DDR2-800?

7900GTX or 7900GT plus 1GB DDR2-800?

480 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  pauldovi 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I once thought about getting a GTX but I thought to myself: there's no way in hell I'll ever pay $500 or even $400 for a video card.

I've always set my maximum budget for a Video card and it's always been between $300 and $315 because pass that, it's just for show and benchmark bragging. Which is good if that's your M.O. although I'd really like to get one but most likely never will.

2GB of RAM will come in handy and give you a boost in performance overall, you can just go ahead and disable the "page file" a.k.a. "virtual memory", it's not screaming boost performance but it would help overall.

BTW, Ropey, what is VIVO used for and what is it? Link?

#5 ·
Having 4 sticks of RAM puts too much load on the memory controller, you might have to lower your overclock on your CPU, I would go for the better card.

#7 ·
get the 7900GT wiot hthe GB of ram becasue if you think about it more memory would be better because vista is coming out soon and that requires a load of memory i have read so go with the 7900GT. Also many people would only probably need a GT unless they r playing FEAR at like 1900 x 1200 resolution.

#8 ·
Defintly get the 7900GT and some good DDR2-800, that will make your system FLY, and overclock really well, well maybe a bit more haha, and you can save it for your Conroe rig, in which i will be purchasing myself and DDR2-800

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RyGuy1788

Having 4 sticks of RAM puts too much load on the memory controller, you might have to lower your overclock on your CPU, I would go for the better card.

I have 1 GB of DDR2-800 (1 stick) and I was going to get another. That is 2-1GB sticks.

Thanks guys, I think I will just get the 7900GT and extra memory. I will probably upgrade to DX10 and 4GB of memory for Vista. The reason I got DDR2-800 is not only the massive headroom, but for Conroe as well... (1333Mhz FSB.... so it needs 667Mhz RAM for 1:1 at stock speeds....)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.