Overclock.net banner

790FX or 790GX

8K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  sLowEnd 
#1 ·
Which is the lastest chipset from AMD? I been doing some research on the motherboards and looks like the 790FX supports Triple and Quad Crossfire so is that the latest?

#4 ·
both have PCIe 2.0
The 790FX supports crossfire 2 x 16x bandwidth
The 790GX only supports crossfire 2 x 8x bandwidth

so if your running crossfire the GX has half the bandwidth, if your only running one card, there isn't a difference. Also as has already been said, make sure you get SB750.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by newblood View Post
Which is the lastest chipset from AMD? I been doing some research on the motherboards and looks like the 790FX supports Triple and Quad Crossfire so is that the latest?
790FX is the best chipset along with the SB750 southbridge

790GX is the newest chipset but it's meant to mix performance with energy efficiency and all of their boards come with the SB750 southbridge.

The Foxconn A79A-S board comes with the 790FX chipset with the SB750 southbridge and also comes with 4 PCI-E 2.0 slots and 2 of them support x16 - x16 Crossfire. Also, most of the OC'ing done by reviewers hitting over 3.4Ghz with the 9950 BE were using this board. Unfortunately, it's bios is a bit confusing but the AMD Overdrive Utility makes for some fantastic overclocking.

A good 790GX mobo is this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136056

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by newblood View Post
So SB750 is better than SB600? Whats the advantage?
More overclocking but more importanty, more motherboard features. More SATAII ports on those motherboards as well as other features.

#12 ·
#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SentrySkills View Post
This is will do everything you want it to, http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Mo...ProductID=2887
DO NOT get a gigabyte board, they are a piece of crap fro overclocking, anything above stock clocks, and not even with 1.4v will it be stable, POS.
Edit: my board doesen't even have an option for raising Northbridge Voltage, and yes i'm using F6 Bios...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.