1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I've been comparing an Asus Crosshair III Formula (790FX) and an Asus Crosshair IV Formula (890FX) and it seems the latter overclocks more and with less voltage. Those with AMD Phenom II X6 CPUs on the Asus Crosshair IV Formula motherboards can overclock the crap out of it with relatively low voltages. Mine is a 790X chipset motherboard and overclocking on mine requires a hefty amount of voltage for any decent overclock.

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gib007
View Post

I've been comparing an Asus Crosshair III Formula (790FX) and an Asus Crosshair IV Formula (890FX) and it seems the latter overclocks more and with less voltage. Those with AMD Phenom II X6 CPUs on the Asus Crosshair IV Formula motherboards can overclock the crap out of it with relatively low voltages. Mine is a 790X chipset motherboard and overclocking on mine requires a hefty amount of voltage for any decent overclock.

so the 890FX utilizes the CPU to use less V-Core when Over-Clocking vs. the 790FX?

if so thats good.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fRingE
View Post

so the 890FX utilizes the CPU to use less V-Core when Over-Clocking vs. the 790FX?

if so thats good.

That's exactly what I've noticed with everyone's stable overclocks (on numerous forums). Someone even stated (in AMD's forums) that "They've done something magical with the new 890FX chipsets, especially with the new AMD Phenom II X6 CPUs". I'd upgrade mine right away but the prospect of socket AM3+ coming out is stopping me.

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gib007 View Post
That's exactly what I've noticed with everyone's stable overclocks (on numerous forums). Someone even stated (in AMD's forums) that "They've done something magical with the new 890FX chipsets, especially with the new AMD Phenom II X6 CPUs". I'd upgrade mine right away but the prospect of socket AM3+ coming out is stopping me.
I know I am getting a E-Boner just thinking about all the new toys arn't you

ATi 6xxx series, Bulldozer SOI AM3/AM3+ CPUS, AM3+ Mobos and maybe PCIE 3.0

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gib007 View Post
Absolutely... the 7xx chipsets seem to need a ton more voltage for similar clocks compared to 8xx chipsets.

The 890 (don't know about the others) definitely has better memory performance as well versus the 7xx chipsets.

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Absolutely... the 7xx chipsets seem to need a ton more voltage for similar clocks compared to 8xx chipsets.

The 890 (don't know about the others) definitely has better memory performance as well versus the 7xx chipsets.
well they don't have better memory performance, the mobos dims have better stability to support the modules and their voltage when ocing.

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fRingE View Post
well they don't have better memory performance, the mobos dims have better stability to support the modules and their voltage when ocing.
Well I'm not sure I agree there -

I sold a friend 4GB of my 8GB sticks I had (two exact same kits) and with exactly the same timings and speed on his CHIV board he had much, much better performance than I did on mine.

So I should rephrase - The 8xx chipsets offer better memory performance than previous 7xx chipsets.

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Well I'm not sure I agree there -

I sold a friend 4GB of my 8GB sticks I had (two exact same kits) and with exactly the same timings and speed on his CHIV board he had much, much better performance than I did on mine.

So I should rephrase - The 8xx chipsets offer better memory performance than previous 7xx chipsets.
You sure are indeed correct

1 - 12 of 12 Posts