Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get 2 7950s for around £70 cheaper than one GTX970, on three 1080p monitors what will go e the best performance

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
With the Phenom? Go with a single 970. 2 7950s will be way faster and the cpu will fall behind a lot more.

a single 7950 would be ideal for that cpu. it will struggle with 3 1080s, though. actually, both cpu and gpu will struggle.

·
Registered
813 Posts
another thing to keep in mind is power consumption....dual 7950 would be around 500-550 watts. While gtx 970 is around 150 watts. Yes, dual 7950 would be cheaper and is more than capable in handling triple 1080 monitors. If its cost....then go with the 7950.... In my opinion...you should get the 7950 and be ready to upgrade again in 2015. Its hard to believe that you will want to continue to game on 1080p for any longer when 4k monitors are getting cheaper. Also, dont even bother with the 970...If you have to go with Nvidia....get the gtx 980 or wait for the AMD's r9 300 series cards. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Go with the single 970. ALWAYS choose the more powerful single card over a dual GPU solution. The only good time to go dual GPU is when you already own 1/2 of the set.

Edit: I also owned dual 7950's for over a year and the experience was horrible. Stuttering was hell, crashes were constant and overalls stability was garbage. Much happier with my single 970.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Don't be concerned with 4K monitors any time soon. There are no GPUs currently on the market that can max out new games at 4K resolution. Not even any dual GPU combo. Until that changes, 4K resolution, IMO is pointless. I doubt cards that powerful will be released in 2015, but possibly 2016. You're probably gonna need SLI 980s just to max out a game like Witcher 3 at 1080p resolution. 4K is far out of the realm of possibility.

If GPUs scale up in performance by about 25-30% over the previous gen models, then it will take around 3 gens of GPUs before it effectively doubles in power. If a setup x2 more powerful than SLI 980s is required, it could be as long as another 2-3 years before 4k/60fps/max settings is viable for brand new games.

I got a 970, and its a great card. Its a bit faster than the x2 6970s I had in my old rig. Frame rates in general seem to be more stable on Nvidia cards. Every AMD card I've had in recent times had micro stutter. Putting them in crossfire just makes the micro stutter worse. I'm not sure how much better the R9 line is, but I know its a problem that plagued the Radeon 6XXX series, and even the 7XXX series. Something you might want to consider.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'd have to vote for going with the gtx 970 just for single card stability's sake. Plus it's very nice in general.

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosblade02 View Post

Don't be concerned with 4K monitors any time soon. There are no GPUs currently on the market that can max out new games at 4K resolution. Not even any dual GPU combo. Until that changes, 4K resolution, IMO is pointless. I doubt cards that powerful will be released in 2015, but possibly 2016. You're probably gonna need SLI 980s just to max out a game like Witcher 3 at 1080p resolution. 4K is far out of the realm of possibility.

If GPUs scale up in performance by about 25-30% over the previous gen models, then it will take around 3 gens of GPUs before it effectively doubles in power. If a setup x2 more powerful than SLI 980s is required, it could be as long as another 2-3 years before 4k/60fps/max settings is viable for brand new games.

I got a 970, and its a great card. Its a bit faster than the x2 6970s I had in my old rig. Frame rates in general seem to be more stable on Nvidia cards. Every AMD card I've had in recent times had micro stutter. Putting them in crossfire just makes the micro stutter worse. I'm not sure how much better the R9 line is, but I know its a problem that plagued the Radeon 6XXX series, and even the 7XXX series. Something you might want to consider.
you don't need to max out games in 4K.

Medium and 2smaa still looks better than maxed out 1080 using 2 290s stock.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweenytodd View Post

GTX 970 is better, you can SLI it down the road.
Why do people still say this? He is asking if he should crossfire his 7950 and you say no, even though it is now "down the road", and the perfect time to crossfire 7950s.

You should just say "Get the 970, when it becomes obsolete upgrade, to a better card". No one actually recommends dual cards at the time it is most appropriate.

Not trying to argue, just think it's silly people still say this.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemagCP View Post

Why do people still say this? He is asking if he should crossfire his 7950 and you say no, even though it is now "down the road", and the perfect time to crossfire 7950s.

You should just say "Get the 970, when it becomes obsolete upgrade, to a better card". No one actually recommends dual cards at the time it is most appropriate.

Not trying to argue, just think it's silly people still say this.
It actually makes sense. He cannot CrossFire 7950's down the road. They're already in CrossFire. When the 970 starts to be long in the tooth, he can SLI it. It'll probably take a few years for it to happen and it'll be far far more powerful an stable than two 7950's.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juub View Post

It actually makes sense. He cannot CrossFire 7950's down the road. They're already in CrossFire. When the 970 starts to be long in the tooth, he can SLI it. It'll probably take a few years for it to happen and it'll be far far more powerful an stable than two 7950's.
Yeah, my bad. I thought OP already had a 7950 and was debating getting a second one or a 970.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for the input guys, still at a loss as to what setup though, if it helps I'm running my cpu at 4ghz, in the terms of raw performance putting aside problems like micro stutter and dual gpu problems are two 7950s that much quicker than one 970? I can't really find any comparisons anywhere

Edit: Will my cpu really be pressured much more with 3 monitors over 1? The reason I'm going the multi monitor route is to minimise my cpu bottle neck

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,107 Posts
the CPU is what is telling the GPU what to do. so yes, when you ask more of the GPU(s) the more CPU resources are used.

Its not a directly linear thing, but it can be helped if you have some fairly fast ram and a decent overclock.

Invest in a good CPU cooler setup if you dont have one already, and try and get a bit more juice out of that processor. even if its only a 500MHz overclock, if you do it mostly from the reference clock, you will be seeing beefed up ram bandwidth and more response everywhere

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dir_d View Post

for 3 1080 screens id go with xfire 7950s
except for few games yes.this.vram noadays is one.of the biggest problems at high res/supersampling+AA.for 2560x1440 or 1920x1080 the 3GB are enough and they beat a gtx 970 easily

And yes he should upgrade his cpu

1 - 16 of 16 Posts