Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My card maxes at 98 C during Fire Starter test of 3DMark . It's a brand new GPU, PowerColor PCS+ AMD 7950 3gb .

Screenshot:

Should I try to return it to the shop?

My case:

My specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB | Mobo: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: DDR3 2x4GB kingston | PSU: LC Power LC600H-12 600W | HDD: WDC WD4000AAKS-00YGA0

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Sounds like it came factory defective. There must have been an issue seating the cooler or applying the TIM. I would return it if you're not comfortable attempting to fix it on your own.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
If it's new I would return it, exchange for another or try a different brand. You apparently have a faulty gpu cooling assembly. Might be the fan, fan profile, poor TIM application or poor contact between the gpu cooler and gpu core.

I guess another possibility is that your temp monitoring program is reading the temperature incorrectly, or maybe even the temp sensor on the card is bad.

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,148 Posts
First, do you have a side panel with fans? Second: is that a fan on the front of the case? If so, is the dust filter clean? And lastly, I don't care if you could get better cooling in a case... 90°C is too hot for me to run comfortably. I would return in and claim factory defective, and that you don't want it to die before you exchange. No doubt that this card would have a shorter life span. If the temperatures are too high, I? wonder what else might be wrong with it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zivlaks View Post

Am I allowed to return a card under warranty solely on the basis of overheating or does it need to die ? xD
If it's overheating like that, it's probably clocking down too. You should be able to return a brand-new card that's doing this. What retailer did you purchase from?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I have tested the Windforce cooler (gigabyte) and twin frozr (MSI) which are dead silent at load. Going with those will definitely be fine.
I have currently got the windforce card in. 60C at load, 2 fans as intake in the case with a solid HDD cage right between the fans and the card. To attain 60C is incredible with what a poor cooling setup i have!
With a more up to date case like the corsair 540, i wont even be able to think of what i may be getting!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems returning that card and just telling the store that the card overheats. If you need to embellish the story tell them that the card overheats and starts artifacting. Either way, you shouldn't get any squabble out of the retailer for an across the board exchange.

I haven't used a Powercolor card in years after a PCB warping issue I had on three cards in a row. Since I've moved on to MSI, Gigabyte, Sapphire and Asus cards and never looked back.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I see your PSU is "LC Power LC600H-12 600W", I have never heard of this brand before so I'm not sure about its quality, I'm saying this because
a failing PSU could be overvolting the GPU (sending too much power causing it to heat), of course I could be wrong...
But it also could be a faulty GPU, so I think for now the best thing to do is replace the card and see if that solves the problem.
Out of these I would go MSI.

·
Iconoclast
32,307 Posts
Have you checked what the GPU's fan speed is when it hits 98C?

·
Iconoclast
32,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zivlaks View Post

yeah, you can see it maxes at 100% in the first picture, it's 100%
Ah, I overlooked that.

Your case doesn't seem terribly well ventilated, but unless your ambient are extremely high I'm going to agree with the consensus that the card is probably defective.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.