Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 2 6970 and I sold one of them and the next one is with me and I bought a 7970
My question is can I crossfire 7970 and 6970 and how would by the performance I don't know if any one tried it yet?
Any help would be help full.

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
Wont work, you can only crossfire cards from the same series (first 2 numbers 79XX only can crossfire with another 79XX card).

·
Registered
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAr View Post

I had 2 6970 and I sold one of them and the next one is with me and I bought a 7970
My question is can I crossfire 7970 and 6970 and how would by the performance I don't know if any one tried it yet?
Any help would be help full.
Technically yes but I suspect the tradeoffs on performance will only net you something that equals a little less than a 6990. The architectures are too different.

You can do it, but I'd only recommend it if you have the cards lying around and system power is not a concern.

·
Washed Up Old Gamer
4,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonalka View Post

Technically yes but I suspect the tradeoffs on performance will only net you something that equals a little less than a 6990. The architectures are too different.
You can do it, but I'd only recommend it if you have the cards lying around and system power is not a concern.
wut

·
Registered
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwiley View Post

wut
Technically it's possible but the tradeoffs would make it pointless.
I have done a 6xxx and 5xxx before but used unsigned drivers.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649 View Post

69xx Cross-X with 79xx is not possible due to different architecture. X for cross generation.

The only cross generation compatible cards are only 57xx and 67xx. Because 67xx is a refresh from 57xx as indicated in this compatibility chart.

600x415px-LL-068d19bb_AMD_CrossfireX_Chart_1618W.jpeg
I know AMD says they won't support it, but someone I know from AMD told me that the 7970 & 6970 should work, with limited performance improvement. I am getting a 7970 next week and will be sure to try it myself and report back.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649 View Post

They will work no doubt but no crossfire scaling.

You can have Radeon, FirePro, Quadro and Geforce in one system no problem.
The point of dual gpu's is to improve performance but i doubt pairing a 7970 and 6970 will do you any good. They won't scale at all

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonalka View Post

I know AMD says they won't support it, but someone I know from AMD told me that the 7970 & 6970 should work, with limited performance improvement. I am getting a 7970 next week and will be sure to try it myself and report back.
They're not even the same architecture, there's no way it will work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts