Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDIT: found a fix:
Quote:
a little update guys

As you know, my card had pretty bad coil whine. i was able to fix it simply by letting my pc stay overnight on a crysis main menu screen, where the coil whine was at its worst. Did this 3 nights in a row and now its whisper quiet.

Be careful tho, card heats up pretty fast using that method, so set up a custom fan profile or just use a solid 80-100% fixed fan speed. I used 70% fan speed, vrm's hit 80c, core 75c.

Worth a shot before rma
smile.gif
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perkeleprkl View Post

Hello everyone, a newbie from Finland needs help.
mad.gif

Im running with gigabyte 7970 windforce oc gpu and it has a ***** of a coil whine. Ive been searching for an answer to my problem couple of hours now and seems like there's a way to fix coil whine. Nail polish or hot glue on capacitors/caps seems to be it.
290
I Applied a dab of hot glue on top of these as warked above, but it did nothing. Coil buzz was still there. Did i do something wrong or it just wont work for me?
Ive tried my card with 4 different psu's, earthwatts 500w, xfx core 850w, super flower golden green 600w and some chieftec psu. So the problem is not the psu.
I have the rma option still, removed hot glue without leaving any marks on pcb, but id rather not rma it cause my card overclocks so well, 1320/1650 benchmark stable without artifacts, 1.281v 1280/1600 fully game stable(few hours of bf3). Asic is little above 83
Do i have any other option left to try? Coil whine on this one is intolerable for 24/7 use, so i will try every possible way if theres any.
I've heard nothing about fixing the whine this way.. but even if it did fix it I wouldn't do it.

You're talking a $480 GPU here man.. if you have noise and you want to get rid of it - RMA it before you ruin it with nail polish and hot glue goop.

At least that's my opinion...

Either way, hope you get it quieted down!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,557 Posts
There's no fix. High end cards have a tendency to whine a bit when pushed hard. Return it for another card if it is very annoying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viski View Post

Where did you buy it from? Jimm's RMA'd my 6970 for bad coil whine.
Purchased from ocuk store. They already told me i could rma it and its a known issue with these cards.
 

·
!
Joined
·
17,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perkeleprkl View Post

Well, if there's no way to ger rid of it, i will rma it. The nail polish/ hot glue trick worked on some nvidia and amd older gpu's so i gave it a spin.
http://theovalich.wordpress.com/2008/11/24/nvidias-deadly-flaw-and-how-to-fix-it-no-more-gtx280-squealing/
Link above shows some guy got rid of that squeeling using nail polish. Hot glue is supposed to work too.
The nail polish trick is meant for open chokes, not sealed ones.

Open
vrm.jpg


Sealed
tech_080924_ud3_ultra-d-05.jpg
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLowEnd View Post

The nail polish trick is meant for open chokes, not sealed ones.
Open
vrm.jpg

Sealed
tech_080924_ud3_ultra-d-05.jpg
This makes a LOT more sense to me! Still wouldn't do it myself, if under warranty.. but after - sure why not!
 

·
Registered
MSI
Joined
·
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromUndaChz View Post

I've heard nothing about fixing the whine this way.. but even if it did fix it I wouldn't do it.
You're talking a $480 GPU here man.. if you have noise and you want to get rid of it - RMA it before you ruin it with nail polish and hot glue goop.
At least that's my opinion...
Either way, hope you get it quieted down!
Agreed with FromUndaChz
smile.gif

Just becareful with your great card, you should RMA it if problem still or too much annoying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoroy View Post

Agreed with FromUndaChz
smile.gif

Just becareful with your great card, you should RMA it if problem still or too much annoying.
My first reference 7970 had coil whine as well, it occured only during benchmarks and game menus and was tolerable. Then i switched to 680 and had with it major stuttering problems so i went back to amd. And now this wf one squeels like a pig while actually gaming, so its unbearable. Im gonna take dc2 top in exchange now. From what i understand those cards dont have coil whine problems.
 

·
Registered
MSI
Joined
·
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perkeleprkl View Post

My first reference 7970 had coil whine as well, it occured only during benchmarks and game menus and was tolerable. Then i switched to 680 and had with it major stuttering problems so i went back to amd. And now this wf one squeels like a pig while actually gaming, so its unbearable. Im gonna take dc2 top in exchange now. From what i understand those cards dont have coil whine problems.
Hmm so weird, but thanks for your information Perkeleprkl
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Try using VSync or a FPS limiting program.

My card (Sapphire 7970 OC) whines at around 200FPS while gaming, using bandicam to limit my framerate to 60FPS solves the whining, and stops vertical tearing, a win-win while gaming.

Your card may have coil whine at 60FPS, if so, I'd RMA it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattser93 View Post

Try using VSync or a FPS limiting program.
My card (Sapphire 7970 OC) whines at around 200FPS while gaming, using bandicam to limit my framerate to 60FPS solves the whining, and stops vertical tearing, a win-win while gaming.
Your card may have coil whine at 60FPS, if so, I'd RMA it.
That actually helps on some games, but for example bf3, crysis 1, 2 and warhead makes my card whine even if vsync is enabled. So i guess theres no point in keeping this one. Tho i wish there was a trick to resolve this
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a little update guys

As you know, my card had pretty bad coil whine. i was able to fix it simply by letting my pc stay overnight on a crysis main menu screen, where the coil whine was at its worst. Did this 3 nights in a row and now its whisper quiet.

Ill update this into the main post as well, someone else might find it useful.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perkeleprkl View Post

a little update guys
As you know, my card had pretty bad coil whine. i was able to fix it simply by letting my pc stay overnight on a crysis main menu screen, where the coil whine was at its worst. Did this 3 nights in a row and now its whisper quiet.
Ill update this into the main post as well, someone else might find it useful.
Awesome find man.. you should make a thread "How I fixed my 7970 coil whine" and maybe it can help some others - Worth a shot before an RMA for sure!

Edit: I see you changed the thread title - you should just edit the original post you made with the little pencil on the bottom left corner of the post - so people can find the fix without reading through a few pages.
wink.gif

.
 

·
PC Evangelist
Joined
·
47,374 Posts
Coil whine happen to almost every card if you are getting MAD fps like 1000fps+ in game menus. Also with AMD cards it increases the more voltage you add over stock. It also depend on the game.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Coil whine happen to almost every card if you are getting MAD fps like 1000fps+ in game menus. Also with AMD cards it increases the more voltage you add over stock. It also depend on the game.
Yeah Wattser93 suggested that the other day.. I think OP tried it and it didn't work - hence why he tried leaving it whining in the Crysis menu, and it stopped now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Coil whine can also occur on the motherboard and power supply. What you think might be the graphics card can also be the motherboard as well. What's worse is if you spent $500 on watercooling only to have the coil whine become even more present. But like another guy said, it's just the nature of the beast. The higher performance stuff just makes more noise. Good set of headphones or speakers will eliminate the coil whine for good.
thumb.gif
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top