Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased an MSI HD 7970 card (performance wise is out of this world) but I'm having an issue with it and my ASUS VH238H monitor. Windows detects the monitor when it is in the DVI slot but not in the HDMI. The HDMI slot on the card works because it recognizes my HDTV it just won't let me use the monitor in that slot.

I even tried hooking up another monitor and having that as my main display on DVI and running the ASUS VH238H as a secondary on the HDMI slot and Windows nor the 7970 in CCC are detecting the monitor in the HDMI slot, but do still recognize the HDTV.

I would hate to think that the HDMI slot on my monitor just coincidentally stopped working the same day I replaced the GPU because the older GPU (560 Ti) had no issues with letting me use the monitor in the HDMI slot.

I am just baffled right now and have no idea where to even begin trying to troubleshoot this.

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardacus View Post

I just recently purchased an MSI HD 7970 card (performance wise is out of this world) but I'm having an issue with it and my ASUS VH238H monitor. Windows detects the monitor when it is in the DVI slot but not in the HDMI. The HDMI slot on the card works because it recognizes my HDTV it just won't let me use the monitor in that slot.

I even tried hooking up another monitor and having that as my main display on DVI and running the ASUS VH238H as a secondary on the HDMI slot and Windows nor the 7970 in CCC are detecting the monitor in the HDMI slot, but do still recognize the HDTV.

I would hate to think that the HDMI slot on my monitor just coincidentally stopped working the same day I replaced the GPU because the older GPU (560 Ti) had no issues with letting me use the monitor in the HDMI slot.

I am just baffled right now and have no idea where to even begin trying to troubleshoot this.
HDMI will show under "My Digital Flat Panel" in CCC. You are on Catalyst 7900, so maybe the EDID is not perfected yet. Alternately, from the monitor input selection, switch from DVI > HDMI> DVI > HDMI. Make sure only plug one HDMI or DVI to the monitor, not both.

If that doesn't help, uninstall then resintall Catalyst then go to Windows Screen and Resolution go to advance settings, check the resfreh rate available for the monitor. Do not force the refresh rate.

Or just use the HDMI to DVI adapter cable included in 7970.

·
Registered
140 Posts
hdtvs detect input automatically, monitors usually don't

also go to monitor's onboard menu and try to choose input type from DVI to HDMI

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmBags View Post

hdtv detects input automatically, monitors usually don't

go to monitor's onboard menu and try to choose input type from DVI to HDMI
Probably this^

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked under my flat panel displays and the monitor isn't even listed. Doesn't seem as if windows is recognizing it because its not under my displays in device manager either. I don't know how to change the refresh rate on it when I can't access it anywhere =/

I have changed the display on the monitor from DVI to HDMI and have tried reinstalling CCC, no luck thus far.

·
13,100 Posts
Are you trying with only the HDMI connected to the 7970, no other connections?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher View Post

Are you trying with only the HDMI connected to the 7970, no other connections?
I've tried multiple ways. I've tried with just the HDMI connection with 1 display and the monitor just has a blue screen and says no HDMI signal. I've tried with a different monitor connected via DVI as my desktop/main display with the monitor in question connected to HDMI as a secondary display and it still isn't recognized by Windows or CCC.

·
13,100 Posts
Can you try the monitor's HDMI connection with another computer?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

I didn't even think of that. I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll try and hook my 360 or my HD cable box to the monitor and see if anything happens. Might not necessarily fix anything but it might help narrow it down a bit. Thanks!

·
13,100 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

I didn't even think of that. I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll try and hook my 360 or my HD cable box to the monitor and see if anything happens. Might not necessarily fix anything but it might help narrow it down a bit. Thanks!
It would suck if it was the monitor's HDMI that is toast, but at the same time it would solve the problem in the sense that you've isolated it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

It would suck if it was the monitor's HDMI that is toast, but at the same time it would solve the problem in the sense that you've isolated it.
It really wouldn't make sense to me that the HDMI connection would be toasted because the issue only started when I switched GPUs yesterday. My previous card was an ASUS 560 Ti DirectCU II TOP and I had no issues with the HDMI display on that card. So it just seems hard to believe that the HDMI on the monitor would give out at the exact same time I switched GPUs.

·
13,100 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

It really wouldn't make sense to me that the HDMI connection would be toasted because the issue only started when I switched GPUs yesterday. My previous card was an ASUS 560 Ti DirectCU II TOP and I had no issues with the HDMI display on that card. So it just seems hard to believe that the HDMI on the monitor would give out at the exact same time I switched GPUs.
Hmm, well we know the HDMI on the card works, no issue there. And the HDMI on the monitor *should* be okay. I'm assuming you're using the same cable?

It might be worth just doing a complete reinstall of the graphics card. When you uninstall the graphics card driver, shut-down, cut the power for 15-20 seconds, plug in only the HDMI and boot up so that the only screen it will see it your monitor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts