Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have ancient Radeon 7970 and it is so loud under load that is starting to piss me off.
I'm also looking to drive my 240hz monitor. I play mainly just Overwatch on low settings and my avg fps is 120-150fps.

Would RX580 be considerable upgrade?

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
Yes, a RX 480 & RX 580 are roughly about a r9 290 / r9 390 (about double the shaders of R9 280 and HD7970) due to higher clockspeeds. If you really want over 120FPS on EPIC quality I'd say a VEGA 56 is a better bet provided the monitor has Freesync as that has almost double the shaders compared to the RX480 / RX580.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1198-amd-radeon-rx-480/page2.html
https://www.techspot.com/review/1468-amd-radeon-rx-vega-56/

http://www.userbenchmark.com/PCGame/FPS-Estimates-Overwatch/3789/146623.0.Low.1080p.0

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Hi,

I have ancient Radeon 7970 and it is so loud under load that is starting to piss me off.
I'm also looking to drive my 240hz monitor. I play mainly just Overwatch on low settings and my avg fps is 120-150fps.

Would RX580 be considerable upgrade?
Consider waiting for prices to drop more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Consider waiting for prices to drop more.
Yeah i' not sure if 7970 - to RX580 is that much faster in [email protected] settings..

Vega prices are currently just out of control where I am from so waiting from them to drop might be the best option here.

The fricking GPU fan under load just pisses me off... I wonder if there is any external fans I could install?

·
Registered
476 Posts
all of arctic coolings coolers are pretty quiet! i put a 2 fan version on a 6870 and it worked great, whisper quiet,. drastic change. Worth the money. also nzxt and corsair make brackets to hook a AIO water loop to gpu, idk how the memory is cooled tho. Id get some type of cooler and then in a couple months get a 580 when theyre $100 the cooler should fit on the 580 cuz their stock cooler is just as bad lmao

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
7970 here too.

Wanted to get some high end.

Decided to wait for next generation.

The current prices are not worth it and Iam still reading its still gonna get worse D:

I guess you could buy a watercooling and put that on it, if you mind the noise too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fellow 7950 owner here. As a disclaimer, I'm not a gamer, and owned the 7950 for mining purposes. After not shopping a new GPU for the past 4 years, I was disappointed to see the progress Radeon/AMD has made in that time. Clock speeds are better, but not dramatically so ... I don't know how they'd perfrom elsewhere, but my 7950s mine stable at 1125 core 1575 memclocks. Aside from Vega, they're still rolling out the same old DDR5 RAM. Efficiency has improved, as wattages have dropped. I was more impressed with what I saw on the Nvidia side of things.

Generally, though, I think this has mirrored the CPU progress. The FX series is still relevant after 6-7? years, but I think they tried to make a leap with Zen. I think Vega was a half-hearted or split-resources attempt to make a big leap. They could have the pieces in place to make a big splash with the next gen or two of cards.

As far as cheap GPUs, I tell everyone who asks: wait a couple months. With the price of crypto low and summer coming up, there'll be all the cheap cards you can buy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts