Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 7970 recently got a driver update that enables supersampling anti-aliasing (SSAA) in DX9/DX10/DX11 games. Is the 7970 playable (at least 60 fps average) with SSAA turned on?

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou View Post

The 7970 recently got a driver update that enables supersampling anti-aliasing (SSAA) in DX9/DX10/DX11 games. Is the 7970 playable (at least 60 fps average) with SSAA turned on?
SSAA is going to have a *huge* performance hit because of how it works. It is far more intensive than any other type of AA out there, what it does is render the image internally at a higher resolution, render it with color correction and aliasing, and then outputs it at the original resolution. It is extremely intensive, for example 8x SSAA will render a 1920x1080 image internally in excess of 16k x 8k resolution. Big big performance hit.

With all that said, its not realistic to use SSAA in a modern game such as crysis 2 or DA2. The performance hit easily halves your framerate. Its nice to have for older games, and also NV can't use SSAA within the driver (nv only has MSAA + TrSS). the only way to use SSAA on nvidia cards is tinkering within nvidia inspector, you can't enable it within the driver.

Anyway, to answer simply....its only realistic to use in a few games, I like using it in Dead Space, for example. Generally speaking, you'll see a 30-40% performance hit in most cases. I would also like to use it in Just Cause 2, but I have to wait for the next driver release to test it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
In compensation, Morphological filtering is almost perfomance-free and looks *good* on most games.

The bad thing about it, is that it AAs everthing on-screen, including fonts and even fraps' counter.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post

In compensation, Morphological filtering is almost perfomance-free and looks *good* on most games.
The bad thing about it, is that it AAs everthing on-screen, including fonts and even fraps' counter.
Yeah, because it's post processing the image. It actually works by adaptively pixel blending areas it thinks will cause high levels of aliasing (areas of high spatial frequency). No resampling occurs.

Most people hate it because it gives a blurrier look than other AA implementations that actually resample.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxlite View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post

Yeah, because it's post processing the image. It actually works by adaptively pixel blending areas it thinks will cause high levels of aliasing (areas of high spatial frequency). No resampling occurs.

Most people hate it because it gives a blurrier look than other AA implementations that actually resample.
MF can also make more ruin to games.
I tried it on NHL 09 and the players where skating weird, like jumping (frame issues). Nothing smooth about it.
Graphically I explored the game to be much crisper without MF.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts