Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to keep costs down and shortly going for a 7970.

Do any of the universal coolers work on this card or is it to early to tell.
Have very good in case air flow and even a dedicated 140 fan blowing across the two 5770's have in there now.

Can't afford a 120 buck or more full GPU block, Thats usually one and done.

Comments.

Later:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I haven't heard anyone using older universal coolers with these cards yet, so, no data there yet. However, it looks like there will be some cards with non-reference coolers that will perform as well as aftermarket coolers of the past. Spend an extra $20-$50 to get $75-$125 worth of better cooling? Worth it to me... One less thing to mess with...

Best case example seems to the Asus DirectCU II 7970's where in at least one case they show a 17% drop in temp over reference setup with less noise, and the fans hardly spinning...

Link1 with some stats: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1839/1/

Link2 with more pictures: http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/288022,asus-7970-direct-cu-ii-top-is-monstrously-gorgeous.aspx

I think we'll see the hands-on reviews for these any day now, but... They look like a winner to me. Major overclocking headroom on the stock 7970's, these custom (although fat, 3 slot designs) look like serious winners to me...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrJohnso View Post

I haven't heard anyone using older universal coolers with these cards yet, so, no data there yet. However, it looks like there will be some cards with non-reference coolers that will perform as well as aftermarket coolers of the past. Spend an extra $20-$50 to get $75-$125 worth of better cooling? Worth it to me... One less thing to mess with...

Best case example seems to the Asus DirectCU II 7970's where in at least one case they show a 17% drop in temp over reference setup with less noise, and the fans hardly spinning...
Link1 with some stats: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1839/1/
Link2 with more pictures: http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/288022,asus-7970-direct-cu-ii-top-is-monstrously-gorgeous.aspx

I think we'll see the hands-on reviews for these any day now, but... They look like a winner to me. Major overclocking headroom on the stock 7970's, these custom (although fat, 3 slot designs) look like serious winners to me...
Thanks,

Had already checked out those links when first posted and Nice Card.

Couldn't run a trip slot card on my board in CF, even in the bottom 8x slot.

My two 5770's stacked in the first two 16x slots even being just double slot cards.
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a card and maybe Kepler will release and really make it interesting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Figured if you were looking at 7970's you would have seen those, but thought I'd cover them, just in case... :) I'm sure we'll see some more solutions pop up soon though. Just hard to be patient...

And yes, the triple depth cooler on that is kind of a killer. Great for folks that know they will stay with a single card setup, but.... Not good for crossfire rigs...

As for current setup, I'm in a very similar boat, m-atx MB running xfire with a 5970 and 5870 stacked against each other without room to breath... Thought I'd not go xfire, so didn't worry about it at first.. Then ya get the bug, and you're screwed... ;) This setup makes me appreciate budgeting for more spread out SLI or X-Fire setups with better cooling even if you think you won't be needing to do that... Better safe than sorry...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrJohnso View Post

Figured if you were looking at 7970's you would have seen those, but thought I'd cover them, just in case...
smile.gif
I'm sure we'll see some more solutions pop up soon though. Just hard to be patient...

And yes, the triple depth cooler on that is kind of a killer. Great for folks that know they will stay with a single card setup, but.... Not good for crossfire rigs...

As for current setup, I'm in a very similar boat, m-atx MB running xfire with a 5970 and 5870 stacked against each other without room to breath... Thought I'd not go xfire, so didn't worry about it at first.. Then ya get the bug, and you're screwed...
wink.gif
This setup makes me appreciate budgeting for more spread out SLI or X-Fire setups with better cooling even if you think you won't be needing to do that... Better safe than sorry...
I wouldn't mind a triple slot card if it was worth it, As going to IVY and a new board on down the line.

Would make sure that the new board could at least accomdate two of those, though.

Nice to be able to add a second card if it was needed instead of starting all over again and having to sell the one you have.

We'll see, Shortly:thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
it looks like there will be some cards with non-reference coolers that will perform as well as aftermarket coolers of the past.
g.gif

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunxs View Post

it looks like there will be some cards with non-reference coolers that will perform as well as aftermarket coolers of the past.
g.gif
If don't have to put the card in the loop and still get good cooling will do.

Although have enough water cooling for three of them.

Plus hassle with more tubing and fittings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts