Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im close to sell the 7970 i currently have so im looking for a new upgrade. I play at 1080p and plan on doing some recording of games on high settings and rendering videos. Should i choose the AMD 390 or the nvidia 970? Ive read that a new line of GPU is coming this year soon, should I wait then? In any case these are the cards i found in my country so far :
http://www.sistemax.cl/webstore/index.php?route=product/product&path=84_86&product_id=61
http://www.sistemax.cl/webstore/index.php?route=product/product&path=84_86&product_id=65
http://www.sistemax.cl/webstore/index.php?route=product/product&path=84_86&product_id=67
http://www.solotodo.com/video_cards/?advanced_controls=0&keywords=&ordering=&min_price=208825&max_price=425071&page_number=3
http://www.solotodo.com/products/20491-msi-r9-390-r9-390-gaming-8g/

i did some research on the 390 and it performs slightly better than the 970 and since it's AMD it performs better going towards the future for 3 reasons:

1)It has better dx12 support (thanks to dx12 taking a lot of elements from mantle)

2)It won't get nerfed like the 970 probably will (seeing as Nvidia did this to the 7xx series and got great results, they will most likely do it again to force more people to upgrade)

3)Freesync panels are at least $100 cheaper than an equivalent Gsync panel (if you are looking at using some adaptive sync technology).

What are your thoughts?

Looking forward to your reply
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileanfox View Post

Hi, im close to sell the 7970 i currently have so im looking for a new upgrade. I play at 1080p and plan on doing some recording of games on high settings and rendering videos. Should i choose the AMD 390 or the nvidia 970? Ive read that a new line of GPU is coming this year soon, shoud i wait? In any case these are the ones i found in my country so far:
http://www.sistemax.cl/webstore/index.php?route=product/product&path=84_86&product_id=61
http://www.sistemax.cl/webstore/index.php?route=product/product&path=84_86&product_id=65
http://www.sistemax.cl/webstore/index.php?route=product/product&path=84_86&product_id=67
http://www.solotodo.com/video_cards/?advanced_controls=0&keywords=&ordering=&min_price=208825&max_price=425071&page_number=3
http://www.solotodo.com/products/20491-msi-r9-390-r9-390-gaming-8g/

i did some research on the 390 and it performs slightly better than the 970 and since it's AMD it performs better going towards the future for 3 reasons:

1)It has better dx12 support (thanks to dx12 taking a lot of elements from mantle)

2)It won't get nerfed like the 970 probably will (seeing as Nvidia did this to the 7xx series and got great results, they will most likely do it again to force more people to upgrade)

3)Freesync panels are at least $100 cheaper than an equivalent Gsync panel (if you are looking at using some adaptive sync technology).

What are your thoughts?

Looking forward to your reply
I would suggest you waiting until the next gen pascal launches in June and possibly snag up a 1070 for the same price a 970 is today but with something around 980 TI performance. Or wait for Polaris, whichever color you prefer
smile.gif
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok but then i wouldnt be able to sell my 7970 at a decent price, the buyer wants it right now so i have 2 options, sell it now and wait for porlaris, or sell it later at lower price and getting a new card , either way I think we all lose money in this game of upgrading our stuff.
thx for the feedback
 

·
technologist
Joined
·
4,489 Posts
Realistically the 390 is not going to be a substantial upgrade. Maybe around 25% more powerful.

I used to have a 7970, I currently have a 380X (it's successor) and I used to own two 290 Vapor-X in Crossfire.

I've also benchmarked all three for HWBOT.

In Fire Strike the 7970 gets around 8000, the 380X gets 9500 and the 290 gets around 11500, all with an Intel processor. I don't think the difference between a 7970 and a R9 390 is substantial enough to spend your money on. (Ideally you'd want something twice as fast as your 7970.)

I would recommend you wait for the next few months because Polaris is coming out and might be around the price/performance bracket you're looking at (Sub-$400 card).

The Polaris GPUs should be right around the level of a 290 spec wise, but probably a little bit more powerful due to improvements made to the architecture, more performance per shader and the move to 14nm process.

28nm cards have been out for years now, and come June will be the official launch of the first 14nm cards. Buying a card now will be wasting your money, unless you can get more than $300 for it and use an old backup card or integrated graphics while you wait for Polaris.
 

·
What should be here ?
Joined
·
5,745 Posts
What the person above said. Although, if you feel you're getting a great deal by selling the current 7970 and can stay without a card for a few months, then I'd do it. But in either case, I'd want my next card to be not 28nm or / and perform equal to a 7970.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I forgot to mention that they are offering me 225 USD for the 7970, the 390 would cost me 450 usd, so considering that maybe its not bad idea to get it right now
thanks for the input
 

·
technologist
Joined
·
4,489 Posts
I would highly recommend taking the $225 and holding on to it until June. If you anticipate the cards will be very expensive in your country, I would just keep setting money aside, knowing that the payoff will be worth it in June or July. Don't buy a 390, it will be obsolete in 2 months.

Me personally, I had two R9 290 Vapor-X (pretty much the best 290 you can buy) and I sold them both. I also sold the "Orange PC" in my sig to my brother. I'm holding on to the money and going to see how Polaris and Pascal end up. In the meantime I got a cheap R9 380X to use (it was around $220 which is a drop in the bucket for me... no offense.)

Realistically, I might not be getting Polaris or the first gen Pascal, I am more interested in Vega in the first half of 2017 (rumored) which is supposed to be the big die version of Polaris (e.g MORE POWER). I will be looking at getting two of these to replace my 290s I sold.

Anyway that's my two cents. Yes, the 390 will be an upgrade but trust me, in 2 months or so you are probably going to want Polaris and regret your decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
I would sell the 7970 at that price, and either buy a cheap used card for the time being or use the IGP for a few months and save up for the new releases.

I recently picked up a new gtx960 for $120 on eBay, so there are good deals out there. I wouldn't rush out and get a slightly better card at the moment. If you are gaming at 1080p/60hz, the difference will be minimal to the eye.
 

·
TEC Veteran
Joined
·
2,007 Posts
What games are currently causing you issues at 1080p? You should be mostly CPU bottlenecked at that res - at 1080p you don't need much power, and a mildly OC'd 7970 is a 280x which was touted as a 108-p card and should be fine for the majority of most games out...save for a few anomalies like Quantum Break. Its not the sexy big e-peen thing to do, but if you have the upgrade itch (which I can understand since I don't even play any intensive games and am ready for a GPU upgrade) a used 290x might be great bang for buck for a 1080p gaming rig while saving you a bunch of cash after selling the 7970.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here...IMO waiting for the new bleeding edge architecture to only game on a 1080p screen seems like a huge waist of time and money when there are so many cheap solutions available right now that will handle it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
sell your 7970 now.

sit idly for 5-6 weeks, buy either polaris or Nvidia's options. If you rather not sit idly then a 390 would be a nice upgrade over the 7970. I personally went from two 7950's in crossfire to a single R9-290 under water. In most cases i had higher performance with the 290. a 7970 isn't much faster than a 7950 so a 390 certainly would be a good upgrade.

your best option though is to sell now and just wait it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebduncan View Post

sell your 7970 now.

sit idly for 5-6 weeks, buy either polaris or Nvidia's options. If you rather not sit idly then a 390 would be a nice upgrade over the 7970. I personally went from two 7950's in crossfire to a single R9-290 under water. In most cases i had higher performance with the 290. a 7970 isn't much faster than a 7950 so a 390 certainly would be a good upgrade.

your best option though is to sell now and just wait it out.
I'm still pretty happy with my single 7950 with a decent of 1250/1600 at 1080p. Only really bothers me in project cars, which is heavily Nvidia biased. It outperforms a stock 7970, so a moderate oc on the 7970 will do it justice.

Only way that I would sell my 7950 and upgrade a single tier would be if I got good money for it, and got a great deal on the replacement.

Realistically a used 7950 is worth roughly $100-120, and 7970 $130-150... For that money, it's hard to replace them at their level of performance with new hardware. My max oc on the 960 gets roughly the same level of performance as my max oc of my 7950, depending on title of course.

With new hardware coming out, I just feel like buying now is ill advised. You can see what the new hardware offers, but also the current gen hardware will drop in price as well. You could even buy a cheap 7850 for the time being if you need a discreet card and use it for a couple months and sell it for roughly what you paid for it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
My 7950 was still good enough for 1080 @ 60. There is no reason to upgrade now for minimal boost at 1080p.

I only sold my 7950 so I could snag a deal on a new G1 980ti for 500 and wanted to upgrade to 1440p as well. Would definitely stay with AMD for freesync as my Dell gsync monitor set me back another 300, but it's impossible to find a deal like that normally, 500 is more the ballpark.

I would really wait. I know miners look for those cards so they hold their value well, but I'm not sure how they would decrease in the future. While 225 is a great price, I would still wait and not upgrade now.

Stay with AMD and Freesync.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sup amigos, its been a while since i checked this post, your comments are really on the spot, i've learned a lot from you. I decided not to sell the card because my gut told me not to do so, or maybe my love for it. I'm trying to repair an old GTS 8800 320Mb card i had from 6 years ago and if it works ill put my 7970 on sale again but im still not sure if its good idea to sell , maybe i wont get as much as the previous buyer was offering but still, even if they offer 200 USD is more than enough, we have to consider that GPUs in my country are at least 30% more expensive than US. Would you still recommend me to sell it and wait? I definitely wont go for a 390 , unless it used and good price, which is hard to find these days.
On other note, what are the news on polaris or pascal? could you recommend me a page or forum where i can stay updated? thanks folks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileanfox View Post

Sup amigos, its been a while since i checked this post, your comments are really on the spot, i've learned a lot from you. I decided not to sell the card because my gut told me not to do so, or maybe my love for it. I'm trying to repair an old GTS 8800 320Mb card i had from 6 years ago and if it works ill put my 7970 on sale again but im still not sure if its good idea to sell , maybe i wont get as much as the previous buyer was offering but still, even if they offer 200 USD is more than enough, we have to consider that GPUs in my country are at least 30% more expensive than US. Would you still recommend me to sell it and wait? I definitely wont go for a 390 , unless it used and good price, which is hard to find these days.
On other note, what are the news on polaris or pascal? could you recommend me a page or forum where i can stay updated? thanks folks
yes sell ur card, and wait to pick up pasal or polaris. Polaris and Pascal will be available in June.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,193 Posts
Sell now and wait until next release if you have a buyer. I don't know what is your CPU but you should have an integrated GPU inside that is more than enough to get you through a month of waiting (really not the end of the world). I waited more than 6 months to get decently priced graphic cards during the mining craze... lol
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top