Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I decided to try aim for a higher clock by using a small voltage bump on my card using Afterburner have have run into a problem.

GPUZ shows a different voltage to what AB shows??? Which one would be correct?

I am guessing it might be GPUZ as my stable overclock on stock volts was 1070mhz core and 1480mhz mem, but even bumping the voltage to 1.2v in AB does not let me get any higher without seeing artifacts.

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I can't help much but GPUZ did not show any difference in volts when ASUS GPU Tweak said I was running 1.21 volts on my ASUS 7970. GPUZ still said 1.17.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My 7970 doesn't like to go above 1.2V, even at stock speeds, ti will do a hard crash, the fan will turn off, and the computer must be restarted.

·
Registered
864 Posts
GPUz is not correct. It is the same for everyone. It's also worth a mention that, although afterburner is correct, it will show a lower voltage than what you have set because apparently the voltage is read differently on these cards. You will essentially see some form of vDroop.

As for instabilty with higher voltage. Alot of people are in the same boat. It appears to be luck of the draw as to how much voltage peoples cards can take before becoming unstable. Some people can comfortably use 1.3v where as most are struggling to get beyond 1.2v. It appears that temperature plays a big role in how far you can push these cards.

It's worth a mention that CCC overdrive or powertune should be disabled when using afterburner or Trixx for best results. If using afterburner then make sure you have edited the config file to allow full control and if using Trixx you need to disable ULPS in the settings. (I personally am having better results with Trixx and so are a few others).

Edit: If your already adjusting voltages with afterburner then you obviously know about the config adjustments. My bad. Its very late here
sleepysmiley03.gif

So far I have managed 1220mhz core / 1575 mhz mem @ 1187v stable in OCCT with a custom fan profile. Even with 100% fan speed I cannot get any more voltage or any more core speed without errors.

In 3Dmark11 though I have done 1280 core / 1675 mem @ 1250v with 100% fan speed. This does not last long in OCCT though.

When carrying out these tests I found anything between 1.28v and 1.29v causes instant errors in OCCT, no matter what the core speed is. Anything over this voltage and its an instant lock up and system restart. The true test for these cards will be when water blocks are put to the test. One of EK's staff has posted results and has apparently got to 1350mhz core speed and reckons theres more in it.

Have a read through the official 7970 overclocking thread. Starting to get some good feedback through. Theres a couple of other threads with some good info as well.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokah View Post

GPUz is not correct. It is the same for everyone. It's also worth a mention that, although afterburner is correct, it will show a lower voltage than what you have set because apparently the voltage is read differently on these cards. You will essentially see some form of vDroop.
As for instabilty with higher voltage. Alot of people are in the same boat. It appears to be luck of the draw as to how much voltage peoples cards can take before becoming unstable. Some people can comfortably use 1.3v where as most are struggling to get beyond 1.2v. It appears that temperature plays a big role in how far you can push these cards.
It's worth a mention that CCC overdrive or powertune should be disabled when using afterburner or Trixx for best results. If using afterburner then make sure you have edited the config file to allow full control and if using Trixx you need to disable ULPS in the settings. (I personally am having better results with Trixx and so are a few others).
Edit: If your already adjusting voltages with afterburner then you obviously know about the config adjustments. My bad. Its very late here
sleepysmiley03.gif

So far I have managed 1220mhz core / 1575 mhz mem @ 1187v stable in OCCT with a custom fan profile. Even with 100% fan speed I cannot get any more voltage or any more core speed without errors.
In 3Dmark11 though I have done 1280 core / 1675 mem @ 1250v with 100% fan speed. This does not last long in OCCT though.
When carrying out these tests I found anything between 1.28v and 1.29v causes instant errors in OCCT, no matter what the core speed is. Anything over this voltage and its an instant lock up and system restart. The true test for these cards will be when water blocks are put to the test. One of EK's staff has posted results and has apparently got to 1350mhz core speed and reckons theres more in it.
Have a read through the official 7970 overclocking thread. Starting to get some good feedback through. Theres a couple of other threads with some good info as well.
To clarify, you suggest not putting the + 20% in Powertune in the Catalyst control panel?

·
Registered
864 Posts
At this point in time. Yes. That is what I would suggest from my own personal experience and from whatI have been reading on forums. Some people claim they have both Trixx and powertune working together but most people dont. In a particular hardcorp review they seemed to have them working in tandem but most other people seem to be struggling.The best way is to see for your self.

Disable power tune and then find your maximum stable overclock just using Trixx or afterburner. Once you are sure you are stable then try running at those clock speeds with power tune and its 20%+ power option enabled. For me, my system loses alot of stability and I start seeing artifacts straight away. I've done clean driver installs, updated my motherboard BIOS, updated my 7970 BIOS to allow higher clock settings in CCC and finally tried a fresh install of windows. The result is still the same. I cannot use powertune and Trixx (or afterburner) together. I have also tried every possible combination of opening, closing, enabling, disabling powertune and Trixx and there options.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I think the VRMs have for the most part reached their limit.
Several people run into the black screen of death and require a hard reset to get it working again.
This happens at higher voltages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts