Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a reference sapphire 7970 incoming that I want to watercool by Easter. I know being a reference it is a perfect candidate for a Full-cover block, however I want to use a universal block, not so much for the cost, but for the flexibility. The gpu is the component I most frequently change in my system, and I don't want to have to sell an 100euro block losing lots of money and paying 100e again for the new one everytime I change a gpu. Let alone having to wait for the new one etc, I change gpus sometimes every 2-3 months, that often!

So I plan on building my system around an EK VGA Supremacy to keep around in every GPU I buy in the next few years...

The thing is, I need to find a way to efficiently cool the VRMs without breaking the bank and approaching full-cover block price. The idea is that the price should be at most 20 euros so that I can easily consider it low enough to throw away when I change the gpu.

The 7970 I am getting is from the very first batches which is a good thing OC-wise (hynix 6gbps, better quality than the later cheapo versions) but the downside is the warranty is expired, so don't want to kill it by neglecting to cool something important like the VRMs...
Another upside though is that being out of warranty I can safely use any epoxy glue or whatever to mount the heatsings without worrying of losing it!

For the ram I don't care much about cooling, however I will put heatsinks if they are cheap enough just for the looks... but mainly I am worried about the VRM. Are there any good-cheap suggestions for reference 7970 VRM cooling?

·
Registered
819 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This seems like a cheap way to go....something along what I need. Sure the Enzotech copper heatsinks look very nice (and should perform even nicer) but they are not worth the cost IMHO. If you are gonna pay 30$+ for a bunch of those, you may as well buy the swiftech full card heatsink or even go the fullcover waterblock route with a little more...

Problem is I am in Europe and can't buy from frozenCPU.

Moreover, is there any concensus on what is a safe way to use those heatsinks? I read several horror stories about the Accelero 7970 installation and how several people bricked their cards with the VRM heatsinks, but couldn't understand whether this was done due to improper heatsink placement (=no cooling) or the adhesive that was supplied was not supposed to touch other parts on the PCB... or just that the heatsinks fell off with time and resulted in no cooling...

I would appreciate any advice on that...

·
Registered
819 Posts
You need to buy thermal pads that conduct the heat between the VRM and the heatsink. Then you need to have some sort of fan blowing over the heatsinks to move the heat away. I don't know any European watercooling places sorry
redface.gif
. But if you search for either waterblock heatsink or VRM heatsink you should be able to find something.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
162 Posts

You really have to put a fan right up to your heat sinks. VRM gets crazy hot, look at the discoloration of the copper.

You can use thermo tape to stick your heat sinks on. Make sure you buy a good quality one and clean both the chip and the heatsink very well or it will fall off. You can buy the enzotech heat sinks as well if you use thermo tape because you can just twist off the heat sink and reuse them, just need new thermo tape when you do.

As for where to get them, theres always Aquatuning or Ebay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts