Discussion Starter #1

Citizen Science Grid

Marathon (CPU) Project

June 5th, 0:00 UTC - June 19th, 0:00 UTC

Countdown to Project Start | Countdown to Project End

Server Status

Official Team Stats

How does the Marathon project work?

The Marathon project, unlike the other disciplines, will run for the duration of the Pentathlon.

Project Specific Information:

app_config.xml:

<app_config>
<app>
<name></name>
</app>
</app_config>

*Note* app_config.xml is currently empty, and will be updated if there are any optimizations for the project.

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,530 Posts
Well, guess it's time for me to set up a citizen science grid account!

EDIT: Anything special that needs to be set up with this one?

EDIT2: And how do I get it to give me more than just 24 work units? I keep getting this annoying "This computer has reached a limit on tasks in progress" error.

EDIT3: I'm going to do the unthinkable and let a few work units push through. Hopefully this will give the manager the ability to fight back or something, as the manager is currently estimating 8.5 hours per work unit, despite the ones taht are being crunched right now looking like they'll only take about 2 hours, 3 minutes, and 20 seconds. Give or take a bit.

EDIT4: Ohhh, that's smooth on their end.... All the work units I downloaded an hour ago.... Expire two days before it starts.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I'm going to switch over tonight and let it crunch through....

Update: got them all switched over, anything special I need to know?

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonnin View Post

Looks like Citizen Science Grid?
https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/
Citizen Science Grid it is. Thanks for posting that. I was away all day, so I missed the announcement.
:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWulfe View Post

Well, guess it's time for me to set up a citizen science grid account!

EDIT: Anything special that needs to be set up with this one?

EDIT2: And how do I get it to give me more than just 24 work units? I keep getting this annoying "This computer has reached a limit on tasks in progress" error.

EDIT3: I'm going to do the unthinkable and let a few work units push through. Hopefully this will give the manager the ability to fight back or something, as the manager is currently estimating 8.5 hours per work unit, despite the ones taht are being crunched right now looking like they'll only take about 2 hours, 3 minutes, and 20 seconds. Give or take a bit.

EDIT4: Ohhh, that's smooth on their end.... All the work units I downloaded an hour ago.... Expire two days before it starts.
The dreaded "too many tasks in progress" message. I get this from time to time, and it is not necessarily because of the project that sends the message. The BOINC Manager priority scheduling for tasks is still mostly voodoo, and can freak out at totally unexpected times.
:p
If you have a large number of tasks in the queue for another project, that may be the reason why you can only get a few tasks.

I think that the SubsetSum tasks (which are the only tasks currently available) all have a 4 day deadline. So if anyone is planning on stocking up on completed tasks, keep that in mind, and don't forget to upload them before the deadline.
:thumb:

I like this project as a Marathon project, because it will make it very difficult for the larger teams to store up a ton of work, and then drop it at the end of the Pentathlon.

·
An Internet Lurker
286 Posts
I thought projects weren't eligible if they "can not provide a sufficient number of workunits." CSG is already out of work, and I remember the work flow being hit-and-miss last time I was running the project.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tictoc View Post

It is possible that CSG wasn't ready for the huge influx of users when the project was announced. Hopefully they have a mountain of tasks ready to release once the Pentathlon official starts.
I'm sure they got slammed. Haf 1 got 80 WU's when I hooked it up and Blackhawk 4 only got ten by the time I was done.

It will stabilize in time. No worries.

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic8192 View Post

Was doing other things when this was announced. I have nary a work unit on any machine.
Work units handed out yesterday wouldn't have been able to be bunkered anyways, due to having only a four day life. ^_^

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,530 Posts
Quote:

Looks like I am getting a good number of pogs work units.
Hope they're putting another batch of work units for both projects out tomorrow... Both of them already have pretty much everything all slurped up... CSG and POGS are both showing no work available to send out! o_O

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
pogs is giving lots of work. I have 2 PC's maxed out in the last hour and I have 2 days work with several of my 2P machines

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
theSkyNet POGS continually generates new work. The server status page can show no work available, but tasks can still be downloaded.

Citizen Science Grid works a bit differently, but I believe they will be able to get enough tasks ready to go.
:D

·
An Internet Lurker
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWulfe View Post

Hope they're putting another batch of work units for both projects out tomorrow... Both of them already have pretty much everything all slurped up... CSG and POGS are both showing no work available to send out! o_O
Both projects are showing almost 700 new computers registered in the last 24 hours.
Quote:

pogs is giving lots of work. I have 2 PC's maxed out in the last hour and I have 2 days work with several of my 2P machines
Like most projects, POGS updates the status page at certain intervals. They're probably having a little trouble keeping up, but I don't think they ran completely out yet.

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tictoc View Post

theSkyNet POGS continually generates new work. The server status page can show no work available, but tasks can still be downloaded.

Citizen Science Grid works a bit differently, but I believe they will be able to get enough tasks ready to go.
biggrin.gif
Ah, good to know. I'll leave networking on then and and then turn it off in the morning once BOINC Manager has a much more accurate time for the work units (since I still have another half an hour or so to go for the first six to finish up).

Maybe I'll strike it lucky and get a few CSG tasks as well. ^_^ Hey, one can hope, right?
tongue.gif

1 - 20 of 191 Posts