Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Don't think they are available yet..soon though.

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by airplaneman
View Post

Don't think they are available yet..soon though.

MSI, ASUS, and Gigabyte has some 890GX's out, but I still haven't seen anyone OC one yet.

The FX series suppose to come out at end of this month I think. If anything like the 790 series, they're the ones to wait for.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krusher33
View Post

MSI, ASUS, and Gigabyte has some 890GX's out, but I still haven't seen anyone OC one yet.

The FX series suppose to come out at end of this month I think. If anything like the 790 series, they're the ones to wait for.

Are they available though? Last I heard is that they were coming soon..

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by airplaneman View Post
Are they available though? Last I heard is that they were coming soon..
The 890GX's? Yes.

5 motherboards with 890GX's on Newegg.com.

Much to my surprise, Biostar now has one on the market.

But as I'm hearing often, it's not a super upgrade going from a 790 to an 890. I'm just planning on getting one because I'm coming from a 2 year old motherboard.

Edit: My bad, I didn't notice till now you're from Canada. Here's Newegg.ca. Just missing the Gigabyte brand. Not sure if OOS or just didn't arrive yet.

·
Overclocker
1,575 Posts
I am planning to get the Asus 890GX USB3 model within the next couple of weeks; just because I know that the 890FX models are going to cost at least $200 or more...

Thats way out of my budget for a Motherboard... and I can get the Asus 890GX USB3 for $120 plus shipping; and it has all the slots that I want, in all the right spots, and I am wanting my main Rig to be built as a full AMD build...

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
Yeah, out of those 5 I'd choose either the MSI or the ASUS. The MSI because it's a micro board with 2 PCIe (x8's). But I like ASUS's boards better because they put a x1 PCIe and a x4 PCIe slots between the two x8 PCIe slots. One thing I learned when I SLI'd my cards was that I wished there was more space in between.

AND WHAT THE HECK was Gigabyte thinking putting the battery behind the x1 PCIe slot?! Just stupid IMO.

·
Overclocker
1,575 Posts
Actually...

I just now also saw the following...

http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/26166/

According to that, and the pictures with it, Asus now has THREE models coming, with the 890FX. Two of them are the new Crosshair IV models which were the ones I assumed would be well over $200.

But now I see in that link that they have another one, which they are claiming will be their Mainstream model for the 890FX line; and its layout is identical to their existing 890GX models.

So I am now pondering, waiting... and seeing what the price on that one is going to be... I am hoping it will be no more then $150, hopefully less. But, I do so hate waiting... I am getting my Tax Return at the end of March; and I am not sure I can bare sitting and waiting another month after that, with all that money waiting to be spent on my computer! lol

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krusher33 View Post
The 890GX's? Yes.

5 motherboards with 890GX's on Newegg.com.

Much to my surprise, Biostar now has one on the market.

But as I'm hearing often, it's not a super upgrade going from a 790 to an 890. I'm just planning on getting one because I'm coming from a 2 year old motherboard.

Edit: My bad, I didn't notice till now you're from Canada. Here's Newegg.ca. Just missing the Gigabyte brand. Not sure if OOS or just didn't arrive yet.
Oh sweet. I searched newegg for "890" earlier today and came up with nothing so I just assumed they weren't out yet.

Nice links, +Rep.

·
Overclocker
1,575 Posts
Actually, what I really want to know is...

How much better, would the 890GX; and the 890FX be... when compared to the nVidia 750a chipset?

I am currently running an MSI board with the 750a. But I am wanting to use that, and its CPU to upgrade my aging secondary machine that is still a Socket 939; then go full AMD on my primary Box.

I had been planning on getting that new Asus 890GX; but am tempted to wait for the newer 890FX version of it (not the Crosshairs). But if the 890GX is going to still be a decent improvement over my current MSI motherboard; then I'll probably get it anyway!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts