Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup, building a new system for myself, and wondering if its better to have 2 80mm fans at the back of the case, or a 120mm?

Plus i will have room for an 80mm on the side of my case, and one at the front, so advice on what should be blowing in/out would be helpfull.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
120 on the back will not only move more air, but typically is quieter.

If it were my setup, I'd want both the 120 and the 80 bringing in cooler air, with a blow hole to exhaust.

My wife's case has 2 80's blowing on from the side of the case, and a single 80 on the back of the case blowing in. A blow hole and a front exhaust. With a 13 dollar cooler, the DTR3400 doesn't see more than 30degC...THAT ROCKS!

The vid card also stays VERY cool with that kind of setup.

My thoughts are: cool the important stuff, which is towards the back of the case, and exhaust through the not-so-important stuff, which is in the front of the case.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
usally 120mm have twice as much cfm as a 80mm fan, so if u have a quiet 120mm, it probly moves about 80cfm, but then usally a typical 80mm quiet fan moves about 30 cfm. so its better to have the 120mm. and u want to have the side intake in, and the front in with how ever many fans u can put in there. just remember front in, side in, top out, back out.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
yeah, i definatly want that fan! my fans are 106cfm at 46dba!!! so these are really nice.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421
120 on the back will not only move more air, but typically is quieter.

If it were my setup, I'd want both the 120 and the 80 bringing in cooler air, with a blow hole to exhaust.

My wife's case has 2 80's blowing on from the side of the case, and a single 80 on the back of the case blowing in. A blow hole and a front exhaust. With a 13 dollar cooler, the DTR3400 doesn't see more than 30degC...THAT ROCKS!

The vid card also stays VERY cool with that kind of setup.

My thoughts are: cool the important stuff, which is towards the back of the case, and exhaust through the not-so-important stuff, which is in the front of the case.
true but most people have their cases with the backs against the wall so not much air can get taken in, however sucking in from the front gives better airflow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts