Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey OCN!
Its time for me to finalllly upgrade my very very outdated hardware. I have around $800 to spend that MIGHT become $1000 (If i can sell all of my current rig) So could you guys help me put together a rig for $800 and $1000 If you feel like it
The rig will mostly be for gaming, no HDD, DVD Drives, Computer Cases needed only the "Core" stuff.

TY VERY MUCH!

EDIT*
I came up with a build in mind that cost around $800
i5-750-$200
Gigabyte P55A-UD3-$140
4GB OCZ DDR3 1600-$100
Antec Earthwatts 650W-$85
XFX HD5850-$275

Critiques?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Honestly, I'd swap in a Q9550, a GTX470 or 5850, and change your monitor to a new 24". I wouldn't swap to DDR3 and a newer socket due to the large cost,but small return on investment. You can rejuvenate your 775 system for 1 last upgrade. I'd swap sockets next time.

• Rep+
Reactions: Takendown2

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Other than the ocz ram it looks good. I'd get corsair, a data or gskill or something. Also, you could go and and get a 555 and a mob that supports unlocking if yer feeling lucky, or a 955

Edit:I kinda agree with the above poster... Might rather do that

·
Registered
769 Posts
Should get the 955 BE/AM3 Mobo with ddr3, that way you can upgrade to bulldozer when it comes out.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No 24" for me, no desk space(yes i live in a small area)

I might look into the core 2 quads but i dont think my mobo supports it so i doubt it will work

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SkillzKillz View Post
It certainly does. =)

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=LCK1LS8DWojB38IJ
P35 boards are known to be horrible at overclocking quads. I've learned from experience.

Quote:
Should get the 955 BE/AM3 Mobo with ddr3, that way you can upgrade to bulldozer when it comes out.
The AM3 socket might not be officially supported by bulldozer now.

I'm sure you can find combo deals on the i5 750. It seems they went back up in price on ebay, but you can still get BCB if you use buy it now to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much guys! Too bad i dont live in USA so i dont have all those benefits.

Say if I did have $1000 to spend, should i just put a 5870 replacing the 5850 or should i upgrade the other parts?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Takendown2
View Post

Thanks so much guys! Too bad i dont live in USA so i dont have all those benefits.

Say if I did have $1000 to spend, should i just put a 5870 replacing the 5850 or should i upgrade the other parts?

spend a little more and get a reference 5850. you can adjust voltage and OC it pretty well. a stock 5870 is only marginally (about 3 or 4%) better than a 5850 at the same clocks (825/1200). i think the 5850 is better for value and you can even crossfire them later

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jj775
View Post

I would advise you to go i7 or 1055t for the same price of that i5 which is slower.

wouldn't exactly say that
i5 750 vs 1090 - 750 is better in most benches or close if not, clearly better in games, despite lower clock speed and 2 fewer cores

i5 750 vs 1055 - 750 is better in nearly all but multi threaded benches, very close if not better, clearly better in games, again despite lower clock speed and 2 fewer cores

i5 750 vs i7 920 - very close again unless in multithreaded apps. Cheaper, uses less power

They trade blows but they are never clearly better until you come into multithreaded activites. If for gaming, i5 750 is great, and so easy to get 4.0 Ghz on.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by turbonerds
View Post

i advise you this, ....but i guess when you start with intel your stuck with it ehh?

anyways for this gaming build the GPU matters more than the CPU, so a better GPU and an ok cpu would out perform a good cpu and an ok gpu for gaming anytime......so do what the other people said by upgrading the gpu from your original plan and get your self a nice monitor

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
also i forgot to mention....i don't think you need a 650watt psu is needed.....a 530watt would handle it fine but check with people from the power supply forum....the i5 and the 5870 are very power efficient

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ackmanc
View Post

wouldn't exactly say that
i5 750 vs 1090 - 750 is better in most benches or close if not, clearly better in games, despite lower clock speed and 2 fewer cores

i5 750 vs 1055 - 750 is better in nearly all but multi threaded benches, very close if not better, clearly better in games, again despite lower clock speed and 2 fewer cores

i5 750 vs i7 920 - very close again unless in multithreaded apps. Cheaper, uses less power

They trade blows but they are never clearly better until you come into multithreaded activites. If for gaming, i5 750 is great, and so easy to get 4.0 Ghz on.

My question to you, if all 3 are at the same price; would you really buy the i5?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
there's no point getting a 6 core cpu......new games that are comming out are starting to use all 4 cores but i don't know if any use 6 cores

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjaburrito
View Post

there's no point getting a 6 core cpu......new games that are comming out are starting to use all 4 cores but i don't know if any use 6 cores

I am not talking about the x6, I am talking about the i7. So even though there is possible to get mopre for you money it doesn't matter?

·
Registered
387 Posts
If all the platforms were the same no. I would go with a i7 920 or 930. But triple channel memory and 1136 mobos are expensive. Which puts the i5 750 back into my shopping cart.

While I like the price point of AMD chips, I have never liked AMD chips. While having 6 cores on paper is sweet, I am a gamer. 98% of the time I may be using 2 cores at most.
And at that point the i5 750 performs = or better than 2 chips that, at stock, are both faster. They both also consume more power to do the same amount of work. So yeah, absolutely will I choose the i5 750.

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ackmanc View Post
If all the platforms were the same no. I would go with a i7 920 or 930. But triple channel memory and 1136 mobos are expensive. Which puts the i5 750 back into my shopping cart.

While I like the price point of AMD chips, I have never liked AMD chips. While having 6 cores on paper is sweet, I am a gamer. 98% of the time I may be using 2 cores at most.
And at that point the i5 750 performs = or better than 2 chips that, at stock, are both faster. They both also consume more power to do the same amount of work. So yeah, absolutely will I choose the i5 750.
Ok then. Sounds like blind fanboyism to me.
Looking here on a game that uses 2 cores http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom...090t-review/16 . I do not see why would an i5 be faster.

To Op my advise to is to get an i7 or an amd 6 core. Your $200 can get you better.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts