Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 800D, my thermal intake aio finally crapped out.. i want to upgrade cooling/fans

The cooler i think is best is the h100 v2

Can someone post a diagram of fan location and some good fans? There is a few on google images not sure what's best..

Specs, intel 3770k 4.2 ghz
Gtx 670

·
Premium Member
27,137 Posts
I have a stock 800D, my thermal intake aio finally crapped out.. i want to upgrade cooling/fans

Can someone post a diagram of fan location and some good fans? There is a few on google images not sure what's best..

Gtx 670
Well, this is air cooling forum so your use of H100 v2 is going to get you into trouble here. :p

Might be better to post in Water Cooling forum .. they might be more helpful, but real water cooling peeps hate CLCs as much as I do.

Honestly, why spend more money on a garbage CLC (all CLCs are garbage) when you can have better cooling with less noise and way more dependability using a good air cooler.

Your 800D has 180mm CPU clearance, meaning any cooler will fit in your case. But honestly while it is very big it has very poor airflow design .. basically they designed for only water cooling without needing to do some modifications. I dont' use corsail/corfail coolers or cases so am not sure what can be done to make it work. The bottom compartment is worthless, and top venting doesn't work well with normal tower motherboard orientation .. so we need to mod the front for 2x - 3x good intake fans and remove all PCIe back slot covers. If we can get some good front intakes figured out the case will work fine.

Also without knowing your what motherboard you have and RAM height is I don't can't suggest coolers and know they will fit.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,855 Posts

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,208 Posts

Gtx 670
The best fan location on an H100 V2 is still on the store shelf. On an 3770K you will be able to get much better temps with far less noise using an air cooler.

Also, an 800D is a large case with fairly good capabilities for liquid cooling (as in custom loop, not CLC). Frankly, CLCs look pretty silly in them. If you want to go liquid, why not go with a basic kit? This will get you better performance, less noise, and look significantly better without breaking the bank. Or even go to something like a Swiftech Drive X3 (which has the same advantages) if you need to keep it really simple - http://site.swiftech.com/drivexkits-2/ . The Drive X3 will get you into a copper/brass rad, significantly better pump and can be expanded and tinkered with should you want some future proofing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The best fan location on an H100 V2 is still on the store shelf. On an 3770K you will be able to get much better temps with far less noise using an air cooler.

Also, an 800D is a large case with fairly good capabilities for liquid cooling (as in custom loop, not CLC). Frankly, CLCs look pretty silly in them. If you want to go liquid, why not go with a basic kit? This will get you better performance, less noise, and look significantly better without breaking the bank. Or even go to something like a Swiftech Drive X3 (which has the same advantages) if you need to keep it really simple - http://site.swiftech.com/drivexkits-2/ . The Drive X3 will get you into a copper/brass rad, significantly better pump and can be expanded and tinkered with should you want some future proofing.
Thank you guys, for the information, I do not want to mess with watercooling, as I dont have ALOT of time to maintain it like it should, my pc runs 24/7 as well...

I picked a AIO cause i never had luck with any air coolers maybe that can change.. if yall help

here is my complete specs

Computer Specifications
Case:
800d

Motherboard:
ASRock Z77 Extreme4

CPU:
3770k intel quad core OC'D 4.2 g

Memory:
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240

Hard Drive:
samsung 840 ssd

Video Card:
670 overclocked

here is a little diagram i found not sure if it's the best or not

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,137 Posts
Only the front most of the top fans can be used to supply air to CPU cooler. The other two are above and behind Airlfow to/from CPU.

AF fans have horribly low static pressure .. so when used with any kind of resistance end up moving very little air.

Having AF140 above AF120 in bottom and middle compartments means one of them is doing nothing.

Do you really have 3x GPUs?

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,208 Posts
Ooof....just looked at the manual and thought I had to be missing something. No way anyone designs a case with airflow this bad at this price, right? Yeah, I wasn't missing anything. Another fine design by Corsair with horrific airflow capabilities. :doh:

If I was stuck with this case, I would put a Swiftech H240-X3 up top and call it a day. No way there is going to be efficient air cooling in a case with such limited intake and flow. And change the 140mm intake to something that can actually move air, like a Phanteks F140MP, be quiet SW3, etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ooof....just looked at the manual and thought I had to be missing something. No way anyone designs a case with airflow this bad at this price, right? Yeah, I wasn't missing anything. Another fine design by Corsair with horrific airflow capabilities. :doh:

If I was stuck with this case, I would put a Swiftech H240-X3 up top and call it a day. No way there is going to be efficient air cooling in a case with such limited intake and flow. And change the 140mm intake to something that can actually move air, like a Phanteks F140MP, be quiet SW3, etc.
h240-x3 looks really nice.. i like the fact you can change the water in it

hows this look?

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts