Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so after days not being able to decide on a case ive broken it down to ft02 vs 800d. 800d won. price difference is not big, 800d is 10$ more. the ft02, in all the pictures ive seen has some cables running down the bottom touching the bottom fans, just doesnt seem clean, this and the top cover seems to have a gap between the side panel, if the ft02 was any bigger this decision would have been much tougher. anyways, im going to aircool the 800d for now, and perhaps watercool when i decide to sli.

ill be using the H70 cooler, note my gpu is a blower style fan with an external exhaust.

here is a setup: i need recomendations on fans as well, white, black, or green fans.( i was looking at http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...olutions%20Ltd.)
currently have an antec900 with all stock fans, and i am quite used to the sound of these fans, so fans quieter than this will be ok for me, they do not have to be the quietest fans.
any help appreciated !

ive drawn up some stuff, hope to make it look similar to this

·
Registered
760 Posts
This webpage is not available.

The webpage at http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...olutions%20Ltd might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Looks like the link is dead. Good set up fan wise. Are you going for LED or just colored plastic fans?

EDIT: link works now
Nice looking fan there.

I would recommend this On a controller... unless you're used to the sound of a jet engine 3 feet away

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Somenamehere View Post
Shocking to me that someone would turn down a ft02 for an 800D.

to each their own.

800d is more of a watercoolers case...

lol yeah, to each their own I suppose.

go with great airflow or go with a name everyone associates with being the best at everything.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maximus Desces Meridius View Post
Id just put the H50 on the rear and have the top three as exhaust.

and the bottom two intake.

Heat rises naturally...don't try to force intake from the top.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Somenamehere View Post
Shocking to me that someone would turn down a ft02 for an 800D.

to each their own.
Agreed.

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts
Why not mount the rad in the back? That way you can have the 3 intake fans feeding cool air to all of your components.

If not, putting the rad in the middle/last would be more logical, as the air is trying to exhaust in the back, you putting the rad in the first slot would cause some weird effect of it fighting for air between the back exhaust fan and the gpu

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillymansam View Post
Heat rises naturally...don't try to force intake from the top.

If its getting sucked out by the H50 and Video card, its fine.

Not like its going 13ft into a ceiling.

Talking about inches, and with some good fans.

Moving it that far will be easy and yield the same temps...

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maximus Desces Meridius View Post
If its getting sucked out by the H50 and Video card, its fine.

Not like its going 13ft into a ceiling.

Talking about inches, and with some good fans.

Moving it that far will be easy and yield the same temps...
Yep, the magic of forced convection in confined areas; and I personally had better temps when using intake as top.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agenesis View Post
Yep, the magic of forced convection in confined areas; and I personally had better temps when using intake as top.
you switched? or are you on wc now

·
Premium Member
8,952 Posts
No no no no. See that rear exhaust point? Your blowing hot air up, those intake fans at the top are drawing from that hot air and pushing it back into the system. What you do, is mount a second 140mm fan on the bottom, just in front of the PSU. That couple with the 140mm fan just above it will force more cool air into the mid section of the chassis.

Add a 120mm fan on the bottom front HDD cage on it's side. Have all three up top, plus the rear fan as exhaust. Bingo. Aircooling at it's finest... kinda.

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitesoul View Post
you switched? or are you on wc now
Oh, I done a bit of testing myself and noticed that top intake yields lower temperatures than exhaust. Plus I'd figure that it'll gather less dust seeing how the vents on the back will be exhausting heat thanks to positive pressure instead of being forced to intake.

Whatever floats your boat I guess, just test everything else yourself and see what works best.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Yea I turned my top fans upside down on my atcs 840 to intake and it's much better temperatures. I'd rather have everything as intake and a really powerful exhaust. This reduces dust and keeps everything flowing to the back in one direction. Instead of having some exhaust at top and some at the back.

I'm getting a corsair 600t and doing the same thing.

If I were you though I would put the h50 on the back top as exhaust. Then the front 2 as intake on the top. You don't want to take air out of the case too soon.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ive decided to try everything suggested, im guessing it will depend alot where i keep the case, so the only way i guess is to test and see. Thanks for the suggestions!

also, if anyone was wondering why i switched from ft02, here is something i posted elsewhere:

Quote:

here are some issues i have with the ft02, they arent MAJOR issues, but i gotta factor them in. i wished the ft02 was a little bigger that it didn't require cutting the fan grills to fit a 5970, one of the best builds by westcoastmods:

its all business outside, and a major party inside. considering the best silverstone had was this:

-just look at all those cables running along the fan, if it was a bit bigger they could be hidden above the fan through some holes
-also note the top gap i was talking about, it should be closer to the side panel to look more seamless.

here is another picture showing the gap, from a youtube video that, imo, was also very nicely built.

anyways, ft02 though big is still classified as mid tower, some sites say full, but it is quite cramped. 800d will give me more options, when i sli ill buy a psu and some water cooling if temps are really bad. winter is near and ambient temp usually doesn't exceed 24C so ill prolly be fine

ps i doubt silverstone will be making more big cases considering ft02's successor, the trash can ft03:

also don't get me wrong i'm not hating on the ft02, still think its a great case

·
48" Mousepad Extremist
1,014 Posts
Quote:
here are some issues i have with the ft02, they arent MAJOR issues, but i gotta factor them in. i wished the ft02 was a little bigger that it didn't require cutting the fan grills to fit a 5970, one of the best builds by westcoastmods:

its all business outside, and a major party inside. considering the best silverstone had was this:

-just look at all those cables running along the fan, if it was a bit bigger they could be hidden above the fan through some holes
-also note the top gap i was talking about, it should be closer to the side panel to look more seamless.

here is another picture showing the gap, from a youtube video that, imo, was also very nicely built.

anyways, ft02 though big is still classified as mid tower, some sites say full, but it is quite cramped. 800d will give me more options, when i sli ill buy a psu and some water cooling if temps are really bad. winter is near and ambient temp usually doesn't exceed 24C so ill prolly be fine
Well. The 5970 fits in perfectly fine when you remove the grill, which doesn't take any cutting but 4 screws. That is for the old FM181 fans, the new AP181 fans are short enough for a 5970 to fit fine.

I also call COMPLETE BS on those cable management jobs being all that great. Mine arrived today and after a quick (RE: not final) cable mangement job with crappy double sided tape (need to order some Scotch 4010/4011) I got this:

There is still a lot of room for improvement, and its a good deal better than those crappy jobs. Note that I own a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750w, which is notoriously bad for cable management.

·
Legacy Member
2,246 Posts
I get the best results when I have every fan set to intake and I have 5 120mm case fans. Realistically I still have my gpus and my psu as outake fans.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i received my case, no ssd yet but couldnt wait so i tried it with my old os:

i couldnt be more happy with it. air cooling isn't bad AT ALL.
my cpu is idling at 30C with the h70 stock fans (exhaust) even at 1500 rpm they are quite loud however, must replace them. the top i have 3 120mm antec tricools from my old case, not that loud, they are on low though.
intake is the noctua nf p14 without any adapters, still the quietest fan in the case.

my gpu; evga external exhaust idles at ~40C, on load max i saw was 76C at 1080p full gpu usage, and my System temp is 34C

some pics;

look at the gayparade on the 24pin cable, ill prolly just buy a sleeved extension.

i need to find a proper place to put this beast, for now ill just have its sexy ass facing me, dont want to put it on the floor :/

the blue doesnt fit well, need to mod this:

anyways, i couldnt believe i shoved all the crap cables from my psu to the back, it almost looks like a modular psu now, unbelievable. Opening the side panels are a breeze, press button, pull. and putitng it back in is the same...very impressed with corsair.

·
Premium Member
8,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SadSoul View Post
Yeah 800D is only good for watercooling, aircooling sucks. Unless u put in all the optional fans.

No, it really doesn't. It's people like you that say it's awful when it can easily be arranged to work just fine, that give this case a bad rap. If you haven't ever set up an 700/800D, you're opinion doesn't really matter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts