Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a linksys pci-G w/ speedbooster in 2 computers and a linksys G router connect to my cable modem and my computer is directly connected to the router.

Heres hte problem. my dads computer is downstairs and im very sure the wireless connection is in range adn everything becuase i setup the computer in a manual configuration where i got the router negotiation and the connection to the internet and it worked every single time. When i reformatted, i forgot how to do the manual configuration so i had to put it back to automatic configuration. So heres the problem... when i auto configure, its really hard to get a connection. What happens is when i disable and reenable the network, the IP address goes to 0.0.0.0 and i cant get a connection to the internet and the in-home network. The DHCP table shows the computer being detected by the router and everything but the actual computer doesnt have an actual connection to the internet. The computer sees hte network and says its connected, but it gets that 0.0.0.0 IP or it sometimes gets this weird automatic private address thats like 163.200.#.# or something. The drivers and firmware are all up to date so does anyone know whats going on here?

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Netwrok questions are almost impossible to answer. It's really just trial and error, but remeber, the computer that you share the net on (the comp that other comps go thorugh to use the net) needs to have the IP of 192.168.0.1 and that should get set liek that once you enable internet sharing. Set all the other computers to automatic and it should work. I'm not real familiar with routers though

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Since he's using a router, the other computers do not go through a central computer and Internet Connection Sharing is not used. The router does all of the work.

Veto - My only suggestion is that perhaps your previous manual configuration of the downstairs PC is not talking well with the newly automated config of the upstairs PC. If it were me, I would just run the Network Setup Wizard on your PCs again to make sure everything is set up the same way, Windows will do a lot of the work of configuring a network for you. XP SP2 even has a wireless config utility, although I have not used it myself and cannot vouch for how well it works.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No no... when it was manually configured, it worked perfectly. I had it on auto config before that on the downstairs pc and it was really iffy and had that 0.0.0.0 thing a lot. I then went to manual config and it worked perfectly everytime but then the reformat happened and i forgot what i put in for the manual config so i went back to automatic and i get this 0.0.0.0 thing a lot again. If i let it sit there, after a while it does actually setup the network correctly.... like maybe the router realized the IP address wasnt being used by an actual computer and dropped it and picked up the signal again and established the network correctly. If i could only remmeber that manual **** lol. Is there software that can do this easier? Im sick of xp doing it lol.

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veto1024 View Post

No no... when it was manually configured, it worked perfectly. I had it on auto config before that on the downstairs pc and it was really iffy and had that 0.0.0.0 thing a lot. I then went to manual config and it worked perfectly everytime but then the reformat happened and i forgot what i put in for the manual config so i went back to automatic and i get this 0.0.0.0 thing a lot again. If i let it sit there, after a while it does actually setup the network correctly.... like maybe the router realized the IP address wasnt being used by an actual computer and dropped it and picked up the signal again and established the network correctly. If i could only remmeber that manual **** lol. Is there software that can do this easier? Im sick of xp doing it lol.
It seems you are still on XP which may be part of the problem. The newer OS's have an easier time of figuring out what is wrong and helping to get your computer connected properly.

I have Windows 10 and so far it has been the most simple to connect to my network.

You should really think about upgrading to a newer OS.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
It sounds like a signal strength issue, the problem is the router isnt handing out IP addresses properly, try rebooting (groan) the router, and then re-connectng, if that doesnt work, physically move the two devices closer together. If it then starts to work, you know its a signal strengh issue.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Oh christ I did not notice that
biggrin.gif
oops, too used to reddit where things auto lock heh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.