Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought a bunch of stuff off a guy on craigslist for cheap and it came with a old 802.11g wifi card, do these require an x16 slot? I ask because its only getting 7-8mbps download in the same room the router is in lol. Its branded broadcom and it has a full pci-e connector, id link it but its so old i cant even find it on the internet lol.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,800 Posts
~25Mbps is about what you'd expect in a real world scenario, 54Mbps is just the theoretical maximum for Wireless G.

USB 2.0 is good for up to 480Mbps, so it's not going to be a limiting factor. A 32 bit PCI bus is good for 1064 Mbps and chances are whatever PC you're talking about has a 64 bit PCI bus which would be even higher.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm wonder why its so low then, its on a z68 motherboard with a core i3 2100. Everything is usable even 1080p 60 fps streams but id like to troubleshoot it a bit if anyone has suggestions. Obviously i could just buy a 10 dollar 802.11n card but why do that when i got this thing for free right? :)

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,800 Posts
When I said expect 25Mbps, I meant expect it as your max. Real world sustained is likely going to be less if there is interference or competing channels in the area.

I upgraded from G to N because my laptop was having trouble staying above ~20Mbps with a WRT54G in the same room as the laptop. I sit ~70Mbps now on N across the house.

Though if your only intent is to stream Netflix it should be able to handle that fine unless you're planning on streaming 4K content.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts