Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking mainly for light overclocking and more interested in lower thermals to keep my air cooled system quieter..

Is it still worth it to debin an 8086k or have they improved the TIM found on the 8700k? Thanks for any opinions

·
Overclocked by Jesus
4,751 Posts
It is just a binned 8700K. Nothing special about it aside from being clocked slightly higher. The 5GHz is for 1 core. I run my 8700K at 5GHz all cores and am in the 60's to low 70's while gaming with a 240mm AIO. Noise mostly comes from my 1080 ti.

·
Registered
710 Posts
It is just a binned 8700K. Nothing special about it aside from being clocked slightly higher. The 5GHz is for 1 core. I run my 8700K at 5GHz all cores and am in the 60's to low 70's while gaming with a 240mm AIO. Noise mostly comes from my 1080 ti.
I think you might have inferred an answer, but didn't really answer. Is it worth it to delid? Yes, probably. Has the TIM been improved? No, not really (not soldered, all accounts are same material as on the 8700K.)

I pre-ordered through a vendor at 4am CDT, received notification that it's on the way. I may delid, haven't decided yet. First I need the tool, and preparation...and a motherboard.

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,168 Posts
yes

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
It depends. If your thermals are perfectly fine out of the box, it's not worth throwing away your warranty.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I love delidding but with coffee lake it is not TOTALLY necessary like kaby lake. With a good cooler and your light OC expectations I would say no. My experience with an 8086k was a 17c drop in temps with a Noctua u9s cooler for my ITX build. I am now at 5ghz/1.30v stress testing under 80c on a 92mm air cooler.

I totally recommend rockitcool products. Depends on what is easiest to get. I know I like some of the der8auer stuff but impossible to get in the USA it seems

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Coffee Lake is Kaby Lake with more cores. It's the same architecture. Everyone's experience with thermals out of the box will be different. If your IHS makes poor contact with the die, you will have to delid if you want to overclock. That's why I insist on waiting because delidding might not be needed.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Coffee Lake is Kaby Lake with more cores. It's the same architecture. Everyone's experience with thermals out of the box will be different. If your IHS makes poor contact with the die, you will have to delid if you want to overclock. That's why I insist on waiting because delidding might not be needed.
It is the same but the paste had to have been different on the 7700k, actually sure it was stated. The 7700k will hit 90C even on an EK loop when trying to get a good OC out of them. I have built many systems on air with them without an OC and they hit 80s on a stress test but coffee lake is actually cooler than its less core count 7700k.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
There's imperfections in the manufacturing process. Your mileage may vary. Not sure how else to say it.

·
Facepalm
8,578 Posts
There's imperfections in the manufacturing process. Your mileage may vary. Not sure how else to say it.
Try having both CPU's delidded and the pastes used compared between each one precisely. Only then can it be clear if there were differences in the paste used, or the quality of the manufacturing improved or not.

·
Cat Wrangler
477 Posts
I'll have to agree. Always get a baseline, test it to where you want to go until you run into thermal issues. If you aren't where you want to be with it, and have thermal issues, then by all means delid, it will drastically cool it off.

Just got mine in the mail today.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ill get a 8086k this week sometime. Gonna delid it and see how high it can go ;)

·
Cat Wrangler
477 Posts

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Whether or not a better paste is used doesn't matter if there's a larger gap between the die and IHS. Once you delid the processor, the manufacturing process doesn't matter anymore.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've made a couple of videos which should help you.

The first explains the 8086K compared to the 8700K in terms of specs and manufacturing process....

The second show my results before and after delidding my 8700K (expect similar from an 8086K as its the same physical chip as the 8700K with the same thermal material).....

Based on my experience and the facts regarding 8086K, the chip on average appears to be reaching good clock speeds at relatively low voltages (think 5GHz on all cores at around 1.2Vcore).

Delidding could be the difference between being able to run your fans at a lower speed or not, but on air I wouldn't expect a significantly greater overclock as a result of delidding. On water it's a different story. Without delidding on water, you'll hit thermal limits before voltage limits.

My advice is run the chip without delidding first, see what it can do and if you're happy with the thermals, and make a decision from there.

I have another video showing how to delid if you decide to go down that path. It's a very easy process if you take your time....

I hope this helps :)

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
What is it you are saying here about gaps after delidding? What gap is larger?
I'm beginning to think you have a reading comprehension problem. I didn't say anything about the gap after delidding, but the gap should be less after delidding. If the gap is larger after delidding, you're doing it wrong. If the gap is satisfactory out of the box, there's no need to delid.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I'm beginning to think you have a reading comprehension problem. I didn't say anything about the gap after delidding, but the gap should be less after delidding. If the gap is larger after delidding, you're doing it wrong. If the gap is satisfactory out of the box, there's no need to delid.
Quoting you again "Whether or not a better paste is used doesn't matter if there's a larger gap between the die and IHS."

No I am just begging to think you have never performed a delid yourself but speaking as if your word is final say. With the stock intel paste there is the thickness of the TIM obviously between the die and IHS that is measurable but once you delid and clean things the IHS is actually sitting on the die and there is an airgap between the substraight and IHS. So not sure why you think using liquid metal wont make a difference, it clearly does because the thickness of TIM is reduced plus the performance advantage of liquid metal over whatever Intel uses. Not to mention you can also use a copper IHS from rockitcool to get a few more degrees shaved off.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
The gap matters for thermal conductivity purposes. Whether or not Intel uses better thermal paste for Coffee Lake processors doesn't matter if the IHS is too far from the die. I don't know how else to say it and I'm tired of repeating myself.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I've made a couple of videos which should help you.

The first explains the 8086K compared to the 8700K in terms of specs and manufacturing process....

The second show my results before and after delidding my 8700K (expect similar from an 8086K as its the same physical chip as the 8700K with the same thermal material).....

Based on my experience and the facts regarding 8086K, the chip on average appears to be reaching good clock speeds at relatively low voltages (think 5GHz on all cores at around 1.2Vcore).

Delidding could be the difference between being able to run your fans at a lower speed or not, but on air I wouldn't expect a significantly greater overclock as a result of delidding. On water it's a different story. Without delidding on water, you'll hit thermal limits before voltage limits.

My advice is run the chip without delidding first, see what it can do and if you're happy with the thermals, and make a decision from there.

I have another video showing how to delid if you decide to go down that path. It's a very easy process if you take your time....

I hope this helps /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
You have to build a decent loop to get lower temps than air.
A 240mm rad won't do it, especially with a GPU in the loop. Most good towers are on par with 280mm CLCs and basic loops. There are even 360mm CLCs that can't beat air coolers.

Many people have hit 5.2 and 5.3 is possible but as always it comes down to how much you're really willing to push a CPU and how good your sample is.

Further more if you get 5.1 on air you'd have to dramatically drop temps to push higher and get the same temp so you're looking at going from a $70 cooler to an $800 cooler to get a whopping 100mhz...a massive <2% difference for the low price of a custom loop.
If you manage to get your GPU from 2000mhz to 2100mhz on water that's a 5% difference. If modding the BIOS was still possible you might be able to get +200mhz or so over air with the right card.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts