Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of performance jump will I see coming from an 8120 to a 8350?
Mostly gaming, but statistics for various things like file transfers, rendering, etc. would be nice to see.
I just want to get a rough idea to make sure I'm getting the right CPU. I've had my 8120 since its launch.
Rough percentage estimates are cool too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtag7 View Post

What kind of performance jump will I see coming from an 8120 to a 8350?
Mostly gaming, but statistics for various things like file transfers, rendering, etc. would be nice to see.
I just want to get a rough idea to make sure I'm getting the right CPU. I've had my 8120 since its launch.
Rough percentage estimates are cool too.
Slightly higher min frame rates

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/434?vs=697
 

·
...when you walked in
Joined
·
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinz View Post

Slightly higher min frame rates

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/434?vs=697
This is sort of skewed considering 8350 has a 400MHz clock advantage stock over the 8150.

Realistically the gains will be even less than showed in this comparison, unless he's leaving them stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

This is sort of skewed considering 8350 has a 400MHz clock advantage stock over the 8150.

Realistically the gains will be even less than showed in this comparison, unless he's leaving them stock.
Not overclocking. I'm a stock kinda guy.

huh. So not much gain at all then. Welp, I guess I can get intels new chipset soon then. I just wanted to play Dark Souls 3 while maintaining 60fps. Seems I can't do that with my CPU. Which is weird cause The Witcher 3 I get 60+ no problem. Idk, maybe it needs a patch or 2.

Thanks guys.
 

·
curmudgeon
Joined
·
5,930 Posts
What revision of UD3 do you have? If it is a good version just by turning off turbo and bumping up the multi you should get to 4.3-4.4 ghz safely. Possibly 4.5. That is a very noticeable improvement in performance and should be plenty for modern games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtag7 View Post

Not overclocking. I'm a stock kinda guy.

huh. So not much gain at all then. Welp, I guess I can get intels new chipset soon then. I just wanted to play Dark Souls 3 while maintaining 60fps. Seems I can't do that with my CPU. Which is weird cause The Witcher 3 I get 60+ no problem. Idk, maybe it needs a patch or 2.

Thanks guys.
Witcher 3 does decently well with 8000 series chips because it uses all the threads pretty well. Games that only use 1-2 threads really suffer on those chips. For strictly gaming you're still better off with a quad core with stronger cores than an 8 core with weaker ones, at least in most cases. Maybe someone who has played Dark Souls 3 can comment on what it uses but I suspect it just used a couple of your cores while the rest just sit idle. Overclocking your current CPU would give you about the same effect as going to an 8350 for free in the mean time if you're willing to tinker with it just a little. Then I would wait and see what's coming out later this year if you can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

What revision of UD3 do you have? If it is a good version just by turning off turbo and bumping up the multi you should get to 4.3-4.4 ghz safely. Possibly 4.5. That is a very noticeable improvement in performance and should be plenty for modern games.
I'm not sure what revision I actually have. Probably a really early one because I was an early adopter of this board a few months after it came out.

I tried overclocking it before, didn't turn out well. Kept reverting my Windows desktop environment to the basic theme for some odd reason. Could never figure out why.
Now that I have an H60 for it, I could try it again I guess if I can gain the same performance essentially. I just need to figure out how to do it all again, the fun part lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzywinks View Post

Witcher 3 does decently well with 8000 series chips because it uses all the threads pretty well. Games that only use 1-2 threads really suffer on those chips. For strictly gaming you're still better off with a quad core with stronger cores than an 8 core with weaker ones, at least in most cases. Maybe someone who has played Dark Souls 3 can comment on what it uses but I suspect it just used a couple of your cores while the rest just sit idle. Overclocking your current CPU would give you about the same effect as going to an 8350 for free in the mean time if you're willing to tinker with it just a little. Then I would wait and see what's coming out later this year if you can.
Exactly what I was thinking. I've been pretty lucky up until now since most of the games I play are certainly more keen on using more threads.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

Not a whole lot. It's like 7% faster per clock and has a bit less power consumption. I wouldn't call it much of an upgrade.
Which is about the same as 3 of the last 4 Intel generations clock for clock.

Going from 3.1 ghz to 4 ghz baseclock should help quite a bit in some situations, others it won't be noticable at all.

Heres an example using cb 11.5 with my 8370 using baseclocks for 8120 and 8350.





Coupled with the generational improvements, you could see close to a 35 % improvement stock vs stock in this particular benchmark.

What do you get with your 8120 in cb 11.5?
 

·
...when you walked in
Joined
·
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

Which is about the same as 3 of the last 4 Intel generations clock for clock.
Ok? I never said anything about Intel's generational jumps having any better IPC improvements.

The difference is upgrading to any of those Intel generations would yield massive performance increases for the OP, unlike "upgrading" to a 8350. Skylake has about a 70-80% IPC lead for example.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

Which is about the same as 3 of the last 4 Intel generations clock for clock.

Going from 3.1 ghz to 4 ghz baseclock should help quite a bit in some situations, others it won't be noticable at all.

Heres an example using cb 11.5 with my 8370 using baseclocks for 8120 and 8350.





Coupled with the generational improvements, you could see close to a 35 % improvement stock vs stock in this particular benchmark.

What do you get with your 8120 in cb 11.5?


I just found out that my board is rev. 02.
 

·
curmudgeon
Joined
·
5,930 Posts
The revision can be found in the lower rear corner of the board. It should say "rev.1.1" for example. The UD3 overvolted the CPU so it could be overclocked a bit just by turning off turbo and bumping the multiplier. I got to 4.5 ghz @ 1.4 vcore like that on a UD3 rev. 3. The increased performance was quite noticeable. Bioshock Infinite had just come out and it played it very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

The revision can be found in the lower rear corner of the board. It should say "rev.1.1" for example. The UD3 overvolted the CPU so it could be overclocked a bit just by turning off turbo and bumping the multiplier. I got to 4.5 ghz @ 1.4 vcore like that on a UD3 rev. 3. The increased performance was quite noticeable. Bioshock Infinite had just come out and it played it very well.
Yeah I forgot I had CPU-Z installed. I have a rev. 02. chipset.
 

·
curmudgeon
Joined
·
5,930 Posts
That IS old! I have no idea how that one works.

EDIT: I looked into Dark Souls III and it seems the only people who can run it smoothly have true top end equipment that costs 10X or more than your system.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

Which is about the same as 3 of the last 4 Intel generations clock for clock.
Ok? I never said anything about Intel's generational jumps having any better IPC improvements.

The difference is upgrading to any of those Intel generations would yield massive performance increases for the OP, unlike "upgrading" to a 8350. Skylake has about a 70-80% IPC lead for example.
Like most gamers who are on 1080 60 hz he probably wouldn't see any of that IPC advantage and it would cost him 300% more than an 8350 to find that out.

EDIT:
I would think with your cooling etc. 4.4ghz should be pretty easy to get locked down as a daily overclock which would put you in the neighborhood of this score.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

Like most gamers who are on 1080 60 hz he probably wouldn't see any of that IPC advantage and it would cost him 300% more than an 8350 to find that out.

EDIT:
I would think with your cooling etc. 4.4ghz should be pretty easy to get locked down as a daily overclock which would put you in the neighborhood of this score.
Yeah I'll just have to figure out how to do it all again. I just want to hit 60 again for most modern titles at the very least.
 

·
curmudgeon
Joined
·
5,930 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top