Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Samsung 840 evo (being reported as 850 evo) has a terrible problem. I'm aware of the issues with these drives but I assumed they were able to create somewhat of a remedy for the problem. I installed the latest firmware awhile back but I never actually saw a big difference. Any solutions? Thinking about using it as a cache drive so it constantly has new data.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,936 Posts
From what I can see, you don't have an 840 EVO, you have the plain 840 Series which Samsung never acknowledged had a problem nor did they attempt to fix it. The firmware version that fixed the 840 EVO's problem is EXT0DB6Q and it's not compatible with the plain 840 Series drive. So, I think you should upgrade to a better drive.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

From what I can see, you don't have an 840 EVO, you have the plain 840 Series which Samsung never acknowledged had a problem nor did they attempt to fix it. The firmware version that fixed the 840 EVO's problem is EXT0DB6Q and it's not compatible with the plain 840 Series drive. So, I think you should upgrade to a better drive.
You are correct. thx

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by startekee View Post

You are correct. thx
You're welcome!

·
Banned
5,762 Posts
btw 840 evo's are still broken AF, 850 Evo's are fine from the looks of it but it's 2016 and anyone buying a TLC based SSD might wanna reconsider.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,936 Posts
What are you talking about? My 840 EVO is perfectly fine thanks to EXT0DB6Q.

·
Banned
5,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

What are you talking about? My 840 EVO is perfectly fine thanks to EXT0DB6Q.
Mine was broken on EXT0DB6Q, it was the original firmware on mine, not an update I did myself. Did a disk rewrite twice, took about 2 months to start showing drops from 525 to 300 read speeds. And ppl still report problem as far as I can see.
what am I talking about ......
rolleyes.gif
Talking about 840 evo being the crappiest drive I've ever had.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts