Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got two spanking Aorus GTX 1080 Ti's and was ready to try them out. Individually they work perfectly. If both are on the motherboard and connected but SLI is disabled, the one set to primary also works. When SLI is enabled it gets all wonky.

When I launch a game, the screen just goes blank. If I disconnect my HDD and launch a game, the screen will flicker and the colors appear all weird and blurry. It still works but obviously isn't meant to be like that.

Edit: nevermind, even without the HDD it does the same thing now.

My specs are in my sig rig.

Asus Sabertooth MarkII Z97
Intel Core i7-4790K(OC'd to 4.5GHz)
16GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX Beast(2400MHz)
Corsair RM 850W Certified Gold Plus
Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Latest drivers(388.59)

4 SSD's
1 HDD

I'm 99.99% sure my PSU just can't handle all these drives on top of all the peripherals attached to my computer(game controllers, mouse, keyboard, external HDD). Is it time to upgrade to a 1200W PSU?

Edit: Also noticed temps are very high even while idle. I know it's SLI but my temps while idle are in the high 50's to low 60's which seems ridiculous.

Thank you.

·
Overclocked
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juub View Post

So I just got two spanking Aorus GTX 1080 Ti's and was ready to try them out. Individually they work perfectly. If both are on the motherboard and connected but SLI is disabled, the one set to primary also works. When SLI is enabled it gets all wonky.

When I launch a game, the screen just goes blank. If I disconnect my HDD and launch a game, the screen will flicker and the colors appear all weird and blurry. It still works but obviously isn't meant to be like that.

My specs are in my sig rig.

Asus Sabertooth MarkII Z97
Intel Core i7-4790K(OC'd to 4.5GHz)
16GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX Beast(2400MHz)
Corsair RM 850W Certified Gold Plus
Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

4 SSD's
1 HDD

I'm 99.99% sure my PSU just can't handle all these drives on top of all the peripherals attached to my computer(game controllers, mouse, keyboard, external HDD). Is it time to upgrade to a 1200W PSU?

Thank you.
Just did a quick calculation and you are pretty much on your limit, calculates to around 760 Watts
http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

·
Overclocked
2,003 Posts
Quote:

What a quick response, thanks. I've heard my model PSU has capacitor issues and it's about 4 years old so could that be an issue?
Possibly, Im pretty sure that calculator does not take into account any overclocking on the cards so you might find your PSU is actually under sized.
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by scracy View Post

Possibly, Im pretty sure that calculator does not take into account any overclocking on the cards so you might find your PSU is actually under sized.
smile.gif
I attempted to underclock them but no difference. -500 on the memory and -200 on the core. The game will launch, freeze to a black screen for about a minute then crash to the desktop. Afterwards the computer will slow to a crawl and become unusable and I'll have to reboot.

·
Overclocked
2,003 Posts
Quote:

I attempted to underclock them but no difference. -500 on the memory and -200 on the core. The game will launch, freeze to a black screen for about a minute then crash to the desktop. Afterwards the computer will slow to a crawl and become unusable and I'll have to reboot.
I only did a quick calculation using the info you supplied, use the link I gave you to input CPU Vcore and clock speeds for your specific 1080Ti's as this will greatly effect actual load
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

I only did a quick calculation using the info you supplied, use the link I gave you to input CPU Vcore and clock speeds for your specific 1080Ti's as this will greatly effect actual load
smile.gif
Alright will do that. Thank you.

Also noticed temps are very high even while idle. I know it's SLI but my temps while idle are in the high 50's to low 60's which seems ridiculous.

Yeah calculated and I'm at 829W. A 1000W PSU is recommended.

·
High Clocker
3,661 Posts
You need to improve airflow. That will drop the idle temps down.
Also If you dont have a kill-a-watt then id start by dropping the power limit in a OC program of your choice.
Make sure its stable and temps are good then work your way up from there.

·
Overclocked
2,003 Posts
Quote:

Alright will do that. Thank you.

Also noticed temps are very high even while idle. I know it's SLI but my temps while idle are in the high 50's to low 60's which seems ridiculous.

Yeah calculated and I'm at 829W. A 1000W PSU is recommended.
No problem perhaps consider a 1000W Seasonic Prime
smile.gif

·
Registered
868 Posts
Quote:

No problem perhaps consider a 1000W Seasonic Prime
smile.gif
I cannot agree more! Always opt for a quality PSU (power supply unit) from a company known for quality PSUs, like Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, etc..

NEVER buy a cheap PSU.
A $30 power supply from some off-brand company, or one that came with your PC case, will always lead to failure and electrical destruction to your expensive parts.

Buy a PSU with an 80 Plus rating of Gold or higher (the systems I build are rated 80 Plus Platinum or Titanium for even better reliability.)

There is nothing wrong with using a higher wattage than your total system usage, A 1000w PSU does not draw 1000w constantly for a system using 450w as an example.

Look for the supply to have enough connectors for your project. For SLi/Crossfire you will need up to 4 PCIe 8-pin (6+2) as you will need two for each card.
(The better quality manufacturers will include these in the higher wattage units)

·
Overclocked
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adphr0g View Post

I cannot agree more! Always opt for a quality PSU (power supply unit) from a company known for quality PSUs, like Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, etc..

NEVER buy a cheap PSU.
A $30 power supply from some off-brand company, or one that came with your PC case, will always lead to failure and electrical destruction to your expensive parts.

Buy a PSU with an 80 Plus rating of Gold or higher (the systems I build are rated 80 Plus Platinum or Titanium for even better reliability.)

There is nothing wrong with using a higher wattage than your total system usage, A 1000w PSU does not draw 1000w constantly for a system using 450w as an example.

Look for the supply to have enough connectors for your project. For SLi/Crossfire you will need up to 4 PCIe 8-pin (6+2) as you will need two for each card.
(The better quality manufacturers will include these in the higher wattage units)
I have never been able to workout why people go and spend a fortune on 1080Ti yet cheap out on a PSU, makes no sense to me
thinking.gif

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adphr0g View Post

NEVER buy a cheap PSU.

This PSU isn't cheap though. At the time it was considered pretty damn good.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It doesn't really sound like a power issue to me but more of a driver issue. I doubt the cards are commanding full power draw right when you launch the game. A lot of games are pretty light on the GPUs through intros and menus. Also, while it will push the PSU, I myself have ran SLI X80 Ti cards before with a 3930K overclocked with an 850W PSU and never had any issues. 850W leaves 300W for each GPU plus 250W for the rest of the system. I don't think any Z platform is going to pull that much.

I could be wrong, but it just sounds like the cards go nuts when they enter 3D mode. It may be worth reinstalling your drivers if you haven't already. To be sure it is not a power issue, just drop your power limit on the GPU's way down to like 50%, which would roughly simulate one card. See if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebski View Post

It doesn't really sound like a power issue to me but more of a driver issue. I doubt the cards are commanding full power draw right when you launch the game. A lot of games are pretty light on the GPUs through intros and menus. Also, while it will push the PSU, I myself have ran SLI X80 Ti cards before with a 3930K overclocked with an 850W PSU and never had any issues. 850W leaves 300W for each GPU plus 250W for the rest of the system. I don't think any Z platform is going to pull that much.

I could be wrong, but it just sounds like the cards go nuts when they enter 3D mode. It may be worth reinstalling your drivers if you haven't already. To be sure it is not a power issue, just drop your power limit on the GPU's way down to like 50%, which would roughly simulate one card. See if that makes a difference.
Now that you mention it, the menus did appear clear but then the game started and it was all artifacts and flickering. I also dropped my power limit down to the minimum and still the same issue. It might be driver related, I do remember getting a couple of dll error when disabling or enabling SLI through the NVIDIA control panel. I also disabled any sort of overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post

Have you checked to make sure your SLI bridge is connected snuggly? Ive seen this cause some weird display issues before.
Yeah. Even tried two different bridges to make sure they weren't faulty.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well this looks like it was a driver issue. I had already uninstalled them clean but looks like I missed a few. I did a drivers sweep again and now he cards are working in SLI without any graphical glitches. I'll update to the latest drivers and install GeForce Experience to see if it has anything to do with this.

Edit: Nevermind. SLI is not enabled. And yep same issue. Whenever I launch a 3D app I just get a blank screen for about two minutes, then it crashes and my system needs to be restarted because it is painfully slow.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well looks like I've found the culprit. First I connected 1 card to both slots to see how it would perform. Went without an hitch. Then I did the same with the second card. Upon launching FireStrike it crashed and the fans went full speed. I rebooted and as soon as I logged in to Windows. Same thing. I tried pairing up my old FE with an Aorus and well SLI works. Looks like I'll have to send one of these babes back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts