Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! I know this has been asked before. Like I said im getting a 8600GT and i have a 250 watt power supply. I know its not recommended but will it run for at least a year? I have used a 8500GT (1GB) for like a week before the ball bareings broke and the fan would not spin. I would really like to know if it will work and if it will run for a year or atleast 7 monthes. PLZ help me!! Im might be awhile before i posted for today at least.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
How old is this 250w PSU? It is probably based on an older ATX spec so there power distribution is not focused on the +12v. Also, PSUs wear out over time so if it is more than 2 years old, it probably can't do 250w anymore. Further, quality of the unit is important... can it really do 250w consistently at 40-50C?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by robertoburri View Post
I used a power supply calculator and it said with this card that i would use 234 watts
Is that total or just how much is going to be used by the video card?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by robertoburri View Post
I used a power supply calculator and it said with this card that i would use 234 watts
234W is too close to 250W imo and I would be willing to bet on a fuse blowing in the PS. But go for it, it would just give your parents more reason to buy a new PS

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dzxqqq View Post
234W is too close to 250W imo and I would be willing to bet on a fuse blowing in the PS. But go for it, it would just give your parents more reason to buy a new PS

I am sorry this guy posted, he clearly does not understand that doing this is very dangerous to your components and you may very well fry your video card by stressing the PSU too far past its capacity.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
depending on what else you have in your system you should really be fine. I am sure someone must have linked the power requirements calculator by now. If not google it, I am too tired.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
I think that Enlight 300W psu only has a combined 22A on the 12V rails--the 8600gt wants a psu with 350w and 22A on a single 12v rail (I am never sure if simply adding up the amperage on the 12v rails works that way--if I recall correctly, it's sometimes a couple amps less than the sum of both rails).

You could try--some people have done with lesser spec'd PSU's, but then again, likely with better-quality PSU's. My girlfriend's computer has an 8600gt in the computer and it's running fine off an Antec Earthwatts 380w PSU. edit--it was also working fine on a 350w no-name PSU too, but I don't know about lower than that...

·
Registered
22 Posts
You should be able to run it no probs
. The computer in my sig is running off an Enermax 250w, and im pretty sure my overvolted 8600gts is pulling over 100w.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
The 8600 GT is not real power hungry, so while not ideal, a 250-300 watt psu should suffice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts