8600K @ $175 or 8700 @ $262

Votes: 1 50.0%

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found some decent open-box deals at my local Microcenter ($175+ tax for the 8600k, $260+tax for the 8700 non-K). Planning on getting a board with them as well, but wondering which one you guys thing is the better deal.

I assume that the 8600K is the better deal, but was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the two. Also, not that I tried very hard, does any one know of any reviews between the 8600k/8700k with a 1080ti (or a Titan)? The few I checked all used 1080s and you could see that that was the bottle neck.

Rest of the system is undecided, but I will likely be using my 980ti or get something better for the time being.

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
From what I can see, they perform the same in gaming. Going to get about the same frames on stock clocks for both. The 8600K might pull away a bit with some overclocking. However, if you do a lot of content creation or use applications that likes multiple core, the 8700 will prove to be more beneficial.

I personally would go for the 8700 as I'm a have it and no need it, than need it and not have it.

·
NOT New to OCN
1,973 Posts
The GPU will not be a bottleneck for either chip, only a limit of graphical performance headroom. I have an 8600K and a 1080. The OC on the 8600K will smoke an 8700, unless you do heavily multi-threaded workloads. I would recommend a different platform if you need more cores. Otherwise for gaming an i5 is the sweetspot.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
I think the 8600K in general is a better match for people, over the 8700K, let alone a 8700 (non-K). Most people don't use a lot of software that is optimized for hyper threading. In OC benchmarks 8600K vs 8700K they fared equally in games. The 8700 can't be overclocked, it is 300mhz slower than the 8600K's stock, it's almost $100 more expensive than the 8600k, and while the 8700 has 300mhz more boost; the 8600K can clock easily clock to 5Ghz.

If you do a lot of gaming the 8600K is a lot better than the 8700 (non-k). If you are hosting a lot of VMs or do other things that can take advantage of hyper threading, then consider a 8700 or 8700k.

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
Pretty much echo's what I've been saying.

If you gaming only - 8600K
If your gaming+content creation+using applications that need more cores/threads - 8700

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusRed View Post

Pretty much echo's what I've been saying.

If you gaming only - 8600K
If your gaming+content creation+using applications that need more cores/threads - 8700
That's not to say they can't do it. It still will preform those task wells, it might not complete a hyper-threadedable task as quickly or you might not be able to host as many VMs on your system. At work we have CPUs that have 14core/28threaded CPUs that serve as hyper-visors for our VMs. You can really host a lot VMs off of it, though I don't see gamers buying this $2000 CPU
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input everyone!

I wound up buying them both (will likely keep the 8600K) and got an open-box Giga Z370 HD3 for $32; hopeully it works.

$227+tax for an 8600K + Mobo seems solid to me. If I can find an matx board I like, I might keep the 8700 for kicks and giggles (that and I could use a decent HTPC w/o a dGPU).

Hopefully temps aren't too high on the 8600K w/ a Scythe Fuma.

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarity View Post

That's not to say they can't do it. It still will preform those task wells, it might not complete a hyper-threadedable task as quickly or you might not be able to host as many VMs on your system. At work we have CPUs that have 14core/28threaded CPUs that serve as hyper-visors for our VMs. You can really host a lot VMs off of it, though I don't see gamers buying this $2000 CPU
smile.gif
As someone who actively runs VMs for certifications, I know all about this lol. Trying to run a server 2016 and a Win10 VMs were a pain off a 4690K.

Switched to a 1600x. Side grade for gaming but ohhh man no more issues when running multiple VMs lol.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusRed View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarity View Post

smile.gif
As someone who actively runs VMs for certifications, I know all about this lol. Trying to run a server 2016 and a Win10 VMs were a pain off a 4690K.

Switched to a 1600x. Side grade for gaming but ohhh man no more issues when running multiple VMs lol.
Awesome!

The more I read/think about it, I think I'll slide my 1800x+K7 stuff to HTPC duties (with a 1050 Ti
sad-smiley-002.gif
) and make the 8600K+HD3 my gaming computer. I don't think it'll be worth the hassle to try to sell the AMD stuff to find another cheapish board I like to make the 8700 my htpc.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick View Post

Awesome!

The more I read/think about it, I think I'll slide my 1800x+K7 stuff to HTPC duties (with a 1050 Ti
sad-smiley-002.gif
) and make the 8600K+HD3 my gaming computer. I don't think it'll be worth the hassle to try to sell the AMD stuff to find another cheapish board I like to make the 8700 my htpc.
I kill my VMs when I run games. I was running it to brush up on some various tools. Granted I won't do it much, as I have plenty of resources at work and my work PC is an i7 HP desktop server with 32gb of RAM. Sadly we use hyper-v. If you do run multiple systems it makes sense to diversify and get the 8600k for gaming and a multithreaded high core count for your other system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts