Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm taking over my parents' old '87 Mazda 323 SL hatch (EDIT: It's finally done), and following advice in the "Show your car" thread, I decided to fix it up and go stock as far as possible. I'm also planning to take it to a local vintage car and steam show in September, I already asked and they'll accept it.

I already started working on it before taking pictures, but I'll be able to post pictures of most of the work progress.

Pictures will follow soon.

The pictures that I have are now posted.

Updates:
10/7/2015: Untouched exterior, painted stock hubcaps
11/7/2015: More pictures
15/7/2015: Cleaning the interior
20/7/2015: Installing the repaired seats
22/7/2015: Cleaning the engine
18/8/2015: Cleaning the door panels
21/10/2015: Bought some parts for the interior, fixed the glovebox
23/10/2015: Replaced the center console
26/7/2016: Rust repair on hatch
31/8/2016: Pinstriping (question stage)
29/11/2016: Installed new exhaust
10/1/2017: Cleaned the taillights
21/1/2017: Painted the wheels
16/12/2019: Full respray project (shade change)

·
Super Moderator
14,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKuhn View Post

I'm taking over my parents' old '87 Mazda 323 SL hatch, and following advice in the "Show your car" thread, I decided to fix it up and go stock as far as possible. I'm also planning to take it to a local vintage car and steam show in September, I already asked and they'll accept it.

I already started working on it before taking pictures, but I'll be able to post pictures of most of the work progress.

Pictures will follow soon.
That might be too soon.

You would have to do a lot of work. Mostly cleaning, especially the engine bay with degreaser and you will run into some problems if you find some corrosion.

But I'm just basing this on guessing. You haven't actually posted pictures of it, only the hubcaps
tongue.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was quick, are you stalking me?
thinking.gif

You'd be suprised at the state of some of the cars there. Sometimes you can see a shell with a partial engine. This one will at least be cleaned as well as I can, it's driveable, and will be partially fixed.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, on to the pictures.

Here the body is exacly like it was when I started:

I still need to get some UV resistant clearcoat for the hubcaps before I can put them on, and I might have to refurb the rims.

·
Super Moderator
14,121 Posts
I think Steelies on that (the wheels you have now, but without hubcaps) would look pretty good. It wouldn't be stock though since it came with hubcaps from the factory.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hubcaps only cover part of each rim, unlike the ones in the first pictures. So with the stock hubcaps on they'll still show the steel.

Also, after washing the car I noticed why the hatch is rusting. It seems the rubber around the window lets water in, and it stays wet for a long time (I washed it late yesterday, it wasn't dry this morning).

·
Amiga 500
3,680 Posts
Hmmm..those rubbers are gonna set you back quite a bit..they are expensive..
I'll be following this thread tho,it is always interesting seeing car restorations
thumb.gif

·
Super Moderator
14,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mAs81 View Post

Hmmm..those rubbers are gonna set you back quite a bit..they are expensive..
I'll be following this thread tho,it is always interesting seeing car restorations
thumb.gif
They aren't really expensive, they're just difficult to install and almost impossible to install (at least without breaking the glass) if you have no experience.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sucks. How about a scrapyard though? I already bought a few things that way (including 3 of the 4 hubcaps).

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post

They aren't really expensive, they're just difficult to install and almost impossible to install (at least without breaking the glass) if you have no experience.
How DARE you ninja me?!
biggrin.gif

If I'm not comfortable with something I'd rather let someone else do it. I assume I can take it to a glass shop (once the rust is dealt with)?

·
Super Moderator
14,121 Posts
Quote:

How DARE you ninja me?!
biggrin.gif

If I'm not comfortable with something I'd rather let someone else do it. I assume I can take it to a glass shop (once the rust is dealt with)?
Get a quote at a glass shop. It shouldn't cost too much to get it replaced professionally.

·
Amiga 500
3,680 Posts
Quote:

Get a quote at a glass shop. It shouldn't cost too much to get it replaced professionally.
I don't know man,they are quite expensive over here(but then again ,everything is)..
I got a quote for my mother's '07 Yaris that was a couple hudrend € for the windshield, if I remember correctly D:

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

I'll do so then.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to take the car in soon though, I'm going to remove the front seats next week to have them repaired and upholstered (synthetic leather, I suppose I'll have to make peace with the fact that the original fabric isn't in great shape anymore). Then I'll wait a bit (I'll have to see how long) before I take the rear seat in. These things are also a bit expensive.

But I suppose I just have to give them the details about the car?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

I don't know man,they are quite expensive over here(but then again ,everything is)..
I got a quote for my mother's '07 Yaris that was a couple hudrend € , if I remember correctly D:
Ouch. That's not cheap.

·
Amiga 500
3,680 Posts
Quote:

Ouch. That's not cheap.
Welcome to Greece my friend..Then again,I asked over at the Toyota car dealer that I take it for service and not a glass shop-maybe you'll get a better deal (I did not change it anyway)

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Welcome to Greece my friend..Then again,I asked over at the Toyota car dealer that I take it for service and not a glass shop-maybe you'll get a better deal (I did not change it anyway)
I wonder, do you know how South African prices are? I posted something a while ago, but I suppose I'll have to post it again to show you what I mean.

1.8 Golf (4 door, US): $20 995
1.2 Golf Trendline (ZA): R271 600 ($21 728)

·
Super Moderator
14,121 Posts
Quote:

I got a quote for my mother's '07 Yaris that was a couple hudrend € for the windshield, if I remember correctly D:
That's pretty terrible actually.

Repairing a crack in the windshield here is £50-£75 (£10-£20 if you claim through insurance) depending on size and replacing the windshield would cost £50 labour + price of the windshield, it depends on the car.
Quote:

I'll do so then.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to take the car in soon though, I'm going to remove the front seats next week to have them repaired and upholstered (synthetic leather, I suppose I'll have to make peace with the fact that the original fabric isn't in great shape anymore). Then I'll wait a bit (I'll have to see how long) before I take the rear seat in. These things are also a bit expensive.

But I suppose I just have to give them the details about the car?
They will most likely ask you to bring the car in so they can see it properly.

·
New to Overborked.net
4,846 Posts
Id be looking around the wrecking yards for a 'rust free' hatch back .

We have those madaz here as well the the turbo 323 was called a 'Familia R' or sumthin but Ford over here called 'em 'Laser' body updated and made two turbo versions called TX3 Laser one was FWD and the other AWD basically rebadged , reworked Mazdas
wink.gif

redface.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOMECINEMA-PC View Post

Id be looking around the wrecking yards for a 'rust free' hatch back .

We have those madaz here as well the the turbo 323 was called a 'Familia R' or sumthin but Ford over here called 'em 'Laser' body updated and made two turbo versions called TX3 Laser one was FWD and the other AWD basically rebadged , reworked Mazdas
wink.gif

redface.gif
We (South Africa) also had the Ford Laser.

·
New to Overborked.net
4,846 Posts
Quote:

We (South Africa) also had the Ford Laser.
Im certain the '85 - '87 hatches are the same
thinking.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOMECINEMA-PC View Post

Im certain the '85 - '87 hatches are the same
thinking.gif
Could be. But then it'll cost more initially since the paint likely won't match. I'm trying to spread the costs out, and I already have to shell out R1250 each just to fix the front seats.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts