Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8700k at 4.7 Ghz and its stable I play games occasionally and my max load temp on a fairly demanding game is 85c will this affect the cpu lifespan? ive had it for a while and most of the time im listening to music I was just wondering if i should lower my overclock

obviosuly my load temp is lower in the winter more around 70 to 75c I was just wondering how long my chip will last

im using an nh d15

·
PC Enthusiast
746 Posts
Running your cpu at 85C won't shorten the lifespan. My overclocked 7700k was a hot cpu and now my overclocked 10700k is even hotter, and I've never had any issues with either. Both cooled by an NH-D14.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,263 Posts
85c is perfectly fine in terms of what your cpu can handle, but it's a little on the warmer side for 4.7ghz. what cpu heatsink do you have? What is the cpu voltage at? There may be room for improvement.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,989 Posts
I have an 8700k at 4.7 Ghz and its stable I play games occasionally and my max load temp on a fairly demanding game is 85c will this affect the cpu lifespan? ive had it for a while and most of the time im listening to music I was just wondering if i should lower my overclock

obviosuly my load temp is lower in the winter more around 70 to 75c I was just wondering how long my chip will last

im using an nh d15
Do you let the fans spin up on the NH-D14?

85 is still safe though because the temperature where the CPU would throttle itself down to prevent damage from heat is 100°C.

·
hazed is lazed
317 Posts
macbook pro operate at 105c for years and years under heavy load and they never fail

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,989 Posts
I think the failure point where the CPU has to shut off due to its internal instructions/design is closer to 120-140°C. I don't know the exact number, I just remember learning it's much higher than the Thermal Junction Maximum. Intel measures that at the geometric center on the top of the integrated heatspreader, which is where thermal compound is applied. So for that spot to reach 100°C, I can only imagine how hot the cores would have to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts