Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6800k currently @4.2ghz and i want to use it mainly for work now. I want to know which of the 2 cpus out not will be enough for 4k gaming for a while. Will a 8600k hold out 2 years because where i am from getting a 8700k is almost impossible. I play at 4k and have a gtx1080 which will change as soon as nividia releases something new next year.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
8700k are pretty easy to get now.
I would get that if you are gaming at 4k.

I would game at 4k if they had good IPS 144hz monitors...

·
waifu for lifu
11,544 Posts
@4k? You're better off with Ryzen. The cpu isn't the main factor at such a high res, and you'll use those extra cores/threads for any games that will use it. Very high IPC is a moot point when you game at 4k generally speaking.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseg View Post

8700k are pretty easy to get now.
I would get that if you are gaming at 4k.

I would game at 4k if they had good IPS 144hz monitors...
I can never get any in stock at all on amazon. Amazon is the only site i can buy from really. Do you know anywhere else beside newegg that might have in stock? I could try and get it. The 60hz isn't a issue for me now. I have played on 144hz and it is really good. Next 2 years for 4k 144hz to be affordable .

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
The CPU doesn't really matter for 4K gaming. It won't matter until GPUs handle 4K as well as they handle 1080p.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
stick with what you got but if you got the upgrade itch id go X299 in your position

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asus11 View Post

stick with what you got but if you got the upgrade itch id go X299 in your position
It's a more of a need. I need to have a dedicated pc for work alone and i can use my current x99 for that. Just looking for an option to get me by for gaming decent at a reasonable price. That's why i was looking at the 8600k. Price to performance is really nice.

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
If price-to-performance is a high priority for you, the best option is the i5-8400. I understand if you don't want a locked processor, but all of these will perform identically at 4K. Your video card will be the limiting factor.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug View Post

If price-to-performance is a high priority for you, the best option is the i5-8400. I understand if you don't want a locked processor, but all of these will perform identically at 4K. Your video card will be the limiting factor.
Nah man i can't go that cpu lol. I have a whole custom watercooled loop ready for a cpu to hit that 5ghz lol. I think i will stick to the 8600k. Next year it will be the 2080 for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts