Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
jonnyblaze
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually never post with issues like this but it's driving me nuts.

My cpu temps are completely all over the place.

First I am using a maximus x formula, 8700k. I delidded cpu and used kryonaut under and over lid.

I have a custom loop.

When I first built pc temps seemed fine. Then about 2 weeks later, 1 core was spiking 20 degrees more than the other 5 while running prime95 non avx small fft's. Most cores were in 70c range and 1 exceeds 90. At that time I was using the bitspower ihs and thought I maybe installed bad.

So I drained loop, changed back to stock ihs and re-did thermal paste.

right after temps were great, so I thought I fixed it.

Now a week later 2 cores are spiking like crazy when stressing.

Normally I would think its a hot cpu but only 2 cores are hot.

I know it's installed perfect.

I am running 5.0ghz at around 1.3v, would should be easy for custom loop.

I cant figure this out making me so sad.

it cant be the cooling system because all cores would be hot and gpu is so cool, doesnt exceed 38c when benching far cry 5.

im guess its a faulty cpu or mobo?

Below is my temps at stock and then oc'd running small fft's and cinebench

Please help. I reset cmos and set everything to stock and redid overclock and still happening.

The wierdest part is how it changes after like a week.

Attachments

·
Iconoclast
30,430 Posts
Sounds like TIM pumpout or migration is interfering with the die to IHS contact.

What's the viscosity of Kryonaut like and how are you securing the IHS to the CPU?

·
jonnyblaze
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sounds like TIM pumpout or migration is interfering with the die to IHS contact.

What's the viscosity of Kryonaut like and how are you securing the IHS to the CPU?
it is a little on the runny side I guess. The first time I reglued ihs, this time I removed old glue and let it float. I usually untighten the hold down 2 screw rotations each screw, then I put it on so ihs doesnt slide and tighten them each equally after, 1/4 turn at a time rotating screws. I have mounted so many delidded cpus when benching that it's hard for me to believe I did it wrong twice, all with kryonaut or gelid. when I removed ihs after first time, the tim spread looked great. so confused. all I want to do is game but even far cry 5 hits 93c on 1 core, at only 1.3v

Could it be the pump failing to change speeds?
I dont think so because gpu is so cool, even demanding games barely reaches 40c. The pump rpm changes in real time when adjusting pwn speed % in bios and when filling I could see the difference between speeds. also I feel like all cores would be affected? I dont know i feel like I have gone over everything.

mce doesnt make difference either.

i feel like there is nothing left to try, last thing was this post.

I wonder if i should try replacing mobo or cpu first. It just sucks because tearing down hard tubes sucks. And I just did it to switch cpu ihs.

And I love my build so much but this is killing me.

i delidded with a razor but didnt scratch pcb, so many things come to mind that could go wrong, it's overwhelming

i know my case isnt great for airflow but gpu running great

my case is below

Attachments

·
Iconoclast
30,430 Posts
Did you remove all the old adhesive from the CPU substrate and the edges of the IHS?

·
jonnyblaze
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you remove all the old adhesive from the CPU substrate and the edges of the IHS?
the first time I left the glue, but the second install I removed all glue from pcb and ihs.

since its only 1 or 2 cores it makes you think it's an under the ihs problem and not heatsink to ihs, but I did it twice and have done it a ton of times

·
Registered
480 Posts
A thought, since you've tried replacement IHS, perhaps the chip itself is not completely level and with higher temps is pushing the LM away from those specific cores.

·
jonnyblaze
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A thought, since you've tried replacement IHS, perhaps the chip itself is not completely level and with higher temps is pushing the LM away from those specific cores.
not trying to get too excited but I think my issue was sort of like this. I drained loop again which really sucks with hard tubes.

The ihs seemed a little un level and the paste was pretty thick and looked weird. You can chip the corners of the die really easy when floating ihs so I was really careful not to tighten hold down too much, so I think the ihs wasnt making good contact

Also the first time I used the bitspower ihs I used glue which it doesnt need, making it sit to high off of die. Also with bitspower ihs the indent for the cpu die is very small compared to intel so have to make sure it's right in the pocket, I think it was sitting on the edge the first time.

So this time I tightened hold down more with bitspower ihs.

Im scared to look but just did far cry 5 bench at 1.325v and max temp was around 65c. Before it was hitting 90's. So hopefully its better.

going to order conductonaut and redo the ihs and paste again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts