Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking about an upgrade to get some games up to 60fps with a bit of aa and wondering if another Ultra might be the way to go.

Could anyone offer any advice?
What kind of percentage would I be looking at regarding fps increase?

Thanks as always guys.

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
It would be the way to go except they are hard to find a ridiculously expensive. If you could find a used one or something.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diabolical999
View Post

They'd be on par with 2x 4830's in CF.

(8800 Ultra = 9800 GTX+ > 4830)

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
They should be on par with a GTX280/285, but they will be power hungry for sure. I say SLI the two if you can find one for a good price (sub-$150), and wait until the next series of cards come out.

They're older tech, but they're still beastly cards. Hell even my SLI 8800GT's can handle everything I throw at them, even Crysis at 1920x1080 DX10 Very High 64-bit no AA. That and FarCry2 are about the only games I see lower FPS in; everything else is nice and smooth.

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't bother getting another Ultra unless you can find one for a decent price (~$150 or less). Finding one at that price could be a challenge. They perform similarly to the HD4850 and 9800GTX+, but consume quite a bit more power, so keep that in mind. You may want to just sell yours and get a single, better performing card, like a GTX280 or 285.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies.
It would cost about £120 for the one I am looking at.

Guess I could sell mine for about the same.

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NCspecV81
View Post

Uhhhh...no. No they won't.

How do you figure?

• Rep+
Reactions: laurie

·
Banned
7,501 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacre
View Post

Well, seeing how the 4850 beats the 8800 Ultra by a small margin, that pretty much places it on par with the 4830. And he's wanting to CF them, so...

·
15,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacre
View Post

and don't forget that 8800GTX>9800GTX

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
I would sell your card, and use the money combined with what you were already willing to spend and get yourself a GTX 280 or something of the like.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skatingrocker17
View Post

The Ultras only have g80 cores and they aren't really comparable to the GT200 core.

Very correct, benches may show one thing but how a different series/architecture process games will differ from series to series. It is very hard to actually compare how two different GPU architectures will perform in actuall games. You can do it, but benches don't really begin tell the whole story. IMO

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by c00lkatz
View Post

They should be on par with a GTX280/285, but they will be power hungry for sure. I say SLI the two if you can find one for a good price (sub-$150), and wait until the next series of cards come out.

They're older tech, but they're still beastly cards. Hell even my SLI 8800GT's can handle everything I throw at them, even Crysis at 1920x1080 DX10 Very High 64-bit no AA. That and FarCry2 are about the only games I see lower FPS in; everything else is nice and smooth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCspecV81
View Post

Uhhhh...no. No they won't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by c00lkatz
View Post

How do you figure?

8800GTX SLI beats a single GTX280 more often then not (Guru3D). Also, Anandtech shows 8800GT SLI to be about an even match with the GTX280.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diabolical999
View Post

Well, seeing how the 4850 beats the 8800 Ultra by a small margin, that pretty much places it on par with the 4830. And he's wanting to CF them, so...

Actually, it's the other way around. The 8800Ultra beats the HD4850 in most games. (Source)

·
15,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbates1244
View Post

Very correct, benches may show one thing but how a different series/architecture process games will differ from series to series. It is very hard to actually compare how two different GPU architectures will compare. You can do it, but benches don't really begin tell the whole story. IMO

True but don't compare those crappy 0xAF/AA to the Ultra's since those cards are meant to stay along the 1920x1200 AAx8/AFx16 cards.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.