Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all

I'll keep it short

I have a stock Oc'd 8800gt of MSi (660Mhz, 950Mhz memory and 1650Mhz shader) which ran up to 96°C with stock fan at 29% under load.

I further OC'd it, 701Mhz core, 1752Mhz Shader (linked with core), and 1004Mhz memory. I put the fan at 100%.

In furmark, I did the stability test.
1280*1024, No MSAA, Xtreme Burning mode (supposed to 'xtremely' stress the core) and ran it for 1 hour.

It maxed out at 78°C.

therefore my question is: shoudld I overclock it further? 78°C isn't alot, and I already noticed a nice increase in performance. I am using this overclokc solely for games, so the fan won't be running at 100% 24/7.

How far do you guys think I can go
?

(I'm a real rookie to this lol, but I hope I can increase this card a bit more)

thanks in advance
Dries

·
Banned
2,547 Posts
Gosh of course it will get hot if the fan is 30 percent,

72c is your GPU ? that's a great temp for your card, these cards can withstand up to 100c ,, Soo your no where near that, so no worries.

If you want to overclock further your going to need to volt mod your card. Or else 700ish core is your max, and 1800 ur shader and 1000 memory,,,,, gl,

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
k, that's no problem then.

Why do I need to further voltmod it? I use EVGA precision.
isn't that going to let me go beyond 700?
I've heard of 700max before somewhere, but I didn't know it was for the 8800gt.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone?
I haven't heard about a 700Mhz max :S
is it because it needs more power? and that when I further OC it without voltmod, it will actually ahve worse performance?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by llama16
View Post

anyone?
I haven't heard about a 700Mhz max :S
is it because it needs more power? and that when I further OC it without voltmod, it will actually ahve worse performance?

Normally the 8800gt's max out on core around 700, if you OC it further without applying more voltage it will become unstable. If you want to raise the voltage, the easy way is a biosflash.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks Izvire

+1rep

Is it possible to voltmod it with the evga utility (I know it is supposed for 200series, and evga). And would it be possible to do this on the stock cooling?

If so, what is a nice voltage? and what core sped can I reach with it.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yep volt mod.

you sure I can't do it on stock cooling? I don't want to spend alot more on this 8800gt.
any chance there are voltmodding utilities that allow me to voltmod without have to solder etc.. :S

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by llama16
View Post

yep volt mod.

you sure I can't do it on stock cooling? I don't want to spend alot more on this 8800gt.
any chance there are voltmodding utilities that allow me to voltmod without have to solder etc.. :S

Yeah the biosflash allows you to raise voltage without soldering, try searching the forum for instructions. You really should buy aftermarket cooling solution though, Accelero s1 rev. 2 + fan is a really good setup.

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenma188
View Post

You should throw on a aftermarket cooler, like the Thermaltake DuOrb.

+1

I have a 8800GT (@ 700/1674/900 - PNY uses crap vRAM) in my workstation with a Duorb on it and I see the same temps as my 88GTX with is under water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts