Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm planning on changing the stock cooler on my XFX 8800GT. Is there anything I should keep in mind?

I'd really like to get a guide on how to change the stock coolers as it's my first attempt.

I don't know how to start, do I need any sticky tapes or whatever that I keep reading on here?

Thanks,
Kim

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
No; all you really need to do is find a nice large clean surface that doesn't have a static buildup.

And just follow the directions with the VF2000 for installing it.

Unscrew the heatsink; and screw the new one on. It's pretty easy.

You only need Thermal Tape if your Memory Heatsinks don't come with it, though the VF2000 does come with some thermal tape for the Memory Heatsinks so you should be fine.

·
Registered
865 Posts
The VF2000 from Zalman will only cool the gpu core chip. You will need to get aftermarket heatsinks for the memory and voltage regulators.

Find them here.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot
View Post

No; all you really need to do is find a nice large clean surface that doesn't have a static buildup.

And just follow the directions with the VF2000 for installing it.

Unscrew the heatsink; and screw the new one on. It's pretty easy.

You only need Thermal Tape if your Memory Heatsinks don't come with it, though the VF2000 does come with some thermal tape for the Memory Heatsinks so you should be fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meta-Prometheus
View Post

The VF2000 from Zalman will only cool the gpu core chip. You will need to get aftermarket heatsinks for the memory and voltage regulators.

Find them here.

Exactly you two.

Also when I take apart cards and whatnot, I just do it on a wooden work bench.

And when you put the card back together, make sure you use some good TIM. I recommend MX-2, OCZ Freeze, or IC7 because of their non-conductive nature; so that way if you put too much down, your not going to short out anything.

I personally would use these memory heat sinks:

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-ZMRHS1-.../dp/B000790D0G

With these for the VRMs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-083-_-Product

Or use the scythe ones overall. Just makes sure you clean the memory chips with rubbing alcohol and let them dry before sticking the heat sinks on. Then when you do, just push firmly and wiggle a tiny bit make them stick.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks chaps!

Just to clarify, do all GFXs need RAM sinks, or is it a case with the 8800's? Because I've read about the Zalman VF1000, which say RAM sinks are not supplied.

The question remains, Does the VF2000 come with ram sinks? Or is it just thermal tapes FOR the ram sinks?

How do RAM sinks operate?

Nooby questions, just like always :x

Thanks,
Kim

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kr4t0z
View Post

Thanks chaps!

Just to clarify, do all GFXs need RAM sinks, or is it a case with the 8800's? Because I've read about the Zalman VF1000, which say RAM sinks are not supplied.

The question remains, Does the VF2000 come with ram sinks? Or is it just thermal tapes FOR the ram sinks?

How do RAM sinks operate?

Nooby questions, just like always :x

Thanks,
Kim

Most cards need them.

RAM Sinks cool off your RAM chips so they opperate cooler; have a longer life, ect.

And yes it come swith some

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more thing, I've just read about the components boxed with the VF2000 and it seems they do come with RAM sinks. Did you guys suggest these as an alternative to those supplied with the Zalman, since aftermarket ones tend to cool things down more?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kr4t0z View Post
One more thing, I've just read about the components boxed with the VF2000 and it seems they do come with RAM sinks. Did you guys suggest these as an alternative to those supplied with the Zalman, since aftermarket ones tend to cool things down more?

Thanks again

You don't really need to buy more for an 8800GT; but when you upgrade GPU's it'll be advised to have an extra few handy then; and possibly look into a VRM heatsink.

About the 8800GT/9800GT levels of GPU's, a VRM heatsink becomes very vital to the GPU.

·
Premium Member
18,210 Posts
And remmber to keep your stock cooler screws and everything incase you ever need to rma it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was just thinking if I should go SLI and thought since the card is quite cheap now, maybe I should go for it. Now, I don't think I can put one of those and still add another card can I?

If not, which one would you suggest for an SLI setup?

Cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it possible to have both cards with VF2000 attached on each and still run SLI? Since I got 3 card slots on my mobo?

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Is it possible to have both cards with VF2000 attached on each and still run SLI? Since I got 3 card slots on my mobo?

Yeah you can do it; and SLi's pretty powerful. You'll be gettin DX10 / HD5830 level of power (Or GTX 280 dependingo n how you look at it
)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Tator,

But do you think there will be space in my CM 590? Don't want to buy and end up not fitting it though :x

Thanks

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Thanks Tator,

But do you think there will be space in my CM 590? Don't want to buy and end up not fitting it though :x

Thanks

Yeah; the CM590 has enough space for 7 expansion slots.

With those GPU's you'd take up 2 each + 1 space slot, so 5 slots total.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again Tator,

Just a quick question about SLI, what exactly should be identical besides the fact that they both should be 8800GT cards?

Appreciated

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
You want matching RAM sizes;

Though in SLi if you mix a 512MB & 1GB card you'll only get 512MB useable in SLi.

Also, in SLi clocks will always match eachother. So if one card is "SuperClocked" and the other is STock, both will run at stock speed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts