Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, If I put my friends 8800gt in my sig rigs it boots and all is good.

When he puts the 8800gt in his rig his comp wont post and has a beep code.

I had an old x1550 lying around so we tried that in his comp and it works. We also tried my 4850 in his comp and it works.

His comp has the following specs:

AMD athlon 64 x2 5200+
Asus M2N-E mobo
2 gigs of Corsair pc2-6400 ram
Nspire 600w psu (sort of no name but it boots with my 4850/x1550 so)

We've also tried updating the bios to the latest version on his mobo and trying both pci-e power connectors.

Any idea what is wrong?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention we already tried that with the ram to no avail. His ram posts on my comp too so...

How could it be a bad psu if it runs my 4850 and x1550 and not his 8800gt?

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts
Try booting without the Ram, then with one stick?

And what about your Ram in his PC, with the 8800?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Well until you said the 4850 worked I was gonna say it's because his board only has a 1.0 PCIe x16 slot. Perhaps the 8800gt card isn't backwards compatable to 1.0 and maybe a 4850 is...? It may be a good feature that ATI has that Nvidia doesn't have. Just throwing that out there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My buddy hass been using his 8800gt in his rig for the past year and a half or so... it wasn't until Thursday where after a reboot it stopped working.

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts
Was anything done prior to the reboot?

The beeps are usually down to the card conflicting with something. Try the Ram deal like I said, just 'cos it posts, don't mean it aint gone bad. Can't hurt to shut me up. ;p

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankenstein406
View Post

reset cmos? try posting with bare minimum?

First thing that came to my mind was resetting the CMOS, but he said they did a BIOS flash of the Mobo, which requires a reset.

Something needs to come out ;p

[EDIT: Gah, coulda edited that in, sorry for the double-post
]

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JumplnTheFire
View Post

My buddy hass been using his 8800gt in his rig for the past year and a half or so... it wasn't until Thursday where after a reboot it stopped working.

Ahh, that wasn't mentioned earlier.

Very strange then. Did you try to install it more than once? Maybe it just had a bad connection the one time. I'm sure you did, just can't think of anything else right now.

This really makes no sense if the 8800gt works in your PC, and your 4850 works in his. Interesting.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We reset the cmos once before the bios update and it reset once with the update so that's not the problem. Trying both his ram and vdieo card in my comp and if that doesn't work ill try the no sticks/1stick deal.

We've tried taking out and re putting in the 8800gt like 10 aswell.

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
I'd try a different PSU in there. That would be my first guess. The 4850 requires less power at idle than an 8800GT does.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by burton560 View Post
lol....its a driver issue? nvidia to ati? ones got catalyst where the other is geforce!
Drivers won't make a difference until they can get it to post.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We just tried hooking up my psu to his rig. M2N-E uses award bios

We tried with the 8800gt without any ram sticks: One long beep, two short beeps

"1 Long Beep, 2 Short Beeps - One long beep followed by two short beeps indicates that there has been some kind of error with the video card. Replacing the video card is usually the most you'll have to do to fix this one."

We tried with the 8800gt with one of the ram sticks: One long beep, three short beeps

We tried with the 8800gt with two sticks of ram: One long beep, three short beeps

"1 Long Beep, 3 Short Beeps - One long beep followed by three short beeps means that either the video card isn't installed or the memory on the video card is bad. Reseating or replacing the video card will typically fix the cause of this Award beep code."

Even though the 8800gt works in my rig. I'm stumped guys.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Both of us just played Mass Effect 2 for 5+ hours. Me with his 8800gt in my rig and him with my 4850 in his rig. The 4850 was running perfectly in his rig... this is TOO weird.

I'm letting him use my 4850 until he gets enough for a 5770 sometime this week because it seems ATI cards work and Nvidia don't.

I wish we had a second Nvidia card to test out on his mobo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts